Your Closest Archery Big Game Kill

lol rag horn bull called him up a river bank he came in so fast I couldn't call him to stop him he hit the breaks with his nose 2 feet from the end of my arrow at full draw. Thought he was going to run me over. Tried to shoot him when he wheeled to run managed to sick him right square in the butt lol. Luckily I called and he stoped out at 30 and I got another arrow in him he trotted off I called again he stoped and I guess him at 85 and got another in him witch turned out to be the best shot out of the 3. He walked another 20yards and tipped over. Man I was sure glad he did after that initial shot things could have went really bad. I got really lucky there. A guy learns some interesting lessons when you least expect it.

Closest big game kill was a whitetail meat buck @ about 10 yards.
Closest kill was a coyote @ about 8 yards, I had just finished climbing a tree to scout a stand location and hopped down picked up my bow to go home and here comes a rabbit... and here comes a coyote so I got an arrow ready and shot it!
Been within 20 yards of more wild game than I can remember, within 10 yards of several most memorable were a whitetail fawn still with spots about 4 feet away, I was just sitting behind a stick blind on the ground. The other memorable was a black bear @ about 6 yards... he wanted to walk down the trail I was on until I said hey bear.... who knows how close he would have gotten if I just stood there. That experience really makes me wish we could carry a good revolver in Canada.

Not quite as close as JE's, but very near. Was standing at base of a tree near a field. Buck jumped the fence but vitals behind one tree and head behind another. He'd take a couple of quick steps and his head would be behind another tree while his chest was behind the first. Happened a couple times until I shot at about 2.5-3 feet. Was shaking so bad, I thought I missed. Could see my arrow lying in the dusty fall leaves. Went about 30 yards, put his head down and when I thought he'd jerk it back up, he collapsed.

8yards

Attachments

• 8A54F8C5-8002-4078-9BD2-98CCC0C435BD.jpeg
    8A54F8C5-8002-4078-9BD2-98CCC0C435BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
Nice!! ^^^
268 pound 4x4 mule deer in Colorado. Sometime around1989, 1990. We went every year for about10 years. Deer ruined my hunts after that. Kept looking for a better one. Came home with tag soup once. Some times trophy hunting can make hunting less fun.Almost forgot, eleven steps, didn't have a range finder.

Badger 26 yards. I called in elk to 5 yards but first time hunting and it came straight in. I didn't like the shot.

Last edited:
Wasn't actually my kill. My son and I were archery elk hunting. He was below me about 25 yards. Wind was blowing pretty much from me to him. I was doing the calling, but for some reason (and I don't know why) I wasn't in a very good spot being the caller. But anyway this bull is coming in and he is going to go below my son and because of a large bush there is no way he can get a shot and of course he is going to smell us. So as luck would have it I gave call just before he was going to go below my son and for sure smell him. The bull turned and started straight up the hill and as he went by my son at 5 steps he put an arrow right behind the shoulder. Bull went about 30 yards back down the hill and pilled up. Guess it's better to sometimes just have plain old dumb luck because when we look back at it we sure didn't do anything right other than be out there.

Killed a 6 point at 9 yards while hunting over a scrape . He actually came in from behind me and my ground blind . When he walked by me in the blind he was so close he had to step over my tie out string . So he was within 3 feet of the blind and about 5-6 feet of me . Walked straight into the scrap right in front of me , turned quartering away and started to clean the scrape out . Arrow went right through him he jumped and ran right back past me again within a few feet . Then turned and ran back down the hill and died within 10 feet of where I'd shot him . All in all a matter of 45 seconds from when he first came in to when he went down. I was shaking so bad I couldn't stand up for roughly 5 min

My first elk was a cow at 9 yards...:D
This boy in January 2021, 25 yards ground blind through heart , ran 200 yards before piling up, left an easy enough trail to follow, doubtful if he had 4 ounces of blood left in his whole body. Very tasty buck to say the least.

Attachments

• bh1.jpg
    bh1.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 113
  • bh2.jpg
    bh2.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 103
  • bh3.jpg
    bh3.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 117
3 ft. Had just gotten off my mule, walked down the hill for a couple minutes. Through the timber I see two branched bulls running with there heads low weaving around the branches. I knelt down to watch the dance. One peeled away at about 10 yards the other ran straight at me, stopping and jumping sideways one yard away. I was at full draw and smoked him just a couple feet from by face. Surprised I didn't have to go change my pants.

7 point whitetail buck directly underneath my tree stand. I was only about 15 feet up. Arrow went in between his right shoulder and spine, and exited his left armpit area. He ran about 30 yards, stopped, and looked around so calmly I thought I had somehow missed. He did the drunken wobble and tipped over right where he stopped. All of this took place with a doe bedded 35 yards in front of me and she never even stood up.