Your Closest Archery Big Game Kill

I don't know if it's the closest shot made with a bow but It was very very close.

I was standing with my back to a big aspen looking down into a bottom
and heard something comming from behind, so not wanting to show myself
I stayed still and waited.

A few minutes later I heard and smelled an Elk coming to my position and
waited to see him .

Well I really got to see "Her" it was a big cow and she came right by me
and stopped ,I could see the veins in her neck pulsing.

She looked away and I drew the bow as i came up with it, and as soon as
the broadhead was centered behind the shoulder I released.( no need to aim).

Then a strange thing happened the bow flew out of my hand and went
past my right side hitting the ground 3 to 4 feet behind me.

I though my bow had broken but was to busy watching the ELk run to
worry about The bow.

The cow fell less than a 100 yrds and then I started trying to figure out
what happened to my bow.

The bow was fine so I must have not been holding on very hard. then after
looking at where I was standing and where the big cow was when I shot
with the bow at full draw I only had 10" to 15" inches between her and my
broadhead at full draw.

So when I released, the arrow struck her before it was clear of the bow causing
it to push back and come out of my hand.

I have only had one other close encounter with a deer and did not shoot but it
was very exciting to be that close to a wild animal an not be detected.Thats
the way a sniper must feel when he moves on someone that doesent know
he's anywhere near.

Any way, thats the closest shot I ever made.

J E CUSTOM

Mine was a whitetail at the base of my treestand. so if you figure I was 20 feet up I guess that is how far it was. I helped do a deer drive where a friend shot a nice 157" mule deer buck at 5 feet as it ran by him. It was pretty cool.

This is a good thread btw. I think the best thing about bowhunting is seing how close you can get to your prey. I always thought it would be awesome to make a video where hunters try to get super close to wild animals. The ultimate goal would be to actually touch them with your bare hands.

Joel

I would ay about 25 feet on this one.:D
dadsdeercr.jpg

5 yards a whitailed doe. Joe I actually did call in a coyote and smack it on the rear once. It may sound unbeliveable but it is true. It was a coyote pup about 15 lbs. I wont do it again I got bit on the hand. The yote ran in a straight line away from me and I had time to lay down behind the rifle I was using but I couldent shoot because I was laughing to hard.

Nice stories. I didn't ge tto hunt last year, I will this year although limited time. Nothing like bowhunting. Oh, yea, 7 yds whitetail doe.

Closest was a 4 pt elk at 4 feet. I was just off the trail, and my buddy was cow calling about 40 yds further down the line. This small bull came trotting towards me down the trail. I let out a cow call just before he was straight across from me, and he hesitated long enough for me to get the shot.
Next close shot was a 5 pt elk at 11 yds. This one was the most exciting as we were bugling back and forth for a while before I got the shot.
Have had lots of close encounters with moose. My closest shot was about 12 to 15 yds. I usually do the calling for moose, so my partners have had the close encounters. I called one in for my buddy at 3 feet. He was on his knees and he had to lean back and up to shoot. Talk about adrenaline. I have shot about a dozen moose and the average shots have been under 20 yds.
I'm heading out again on Sept 3'rd for our annual Elk hunt for about 10 days and our annual moose hunt will start on Sept 26'th.
Can't wait to hear the bugles and grunts again. Music to my ears.

Closest was a 4 pt elk at 4 feet. I was just off the trail, and my buddy was cow calling about 40 yds further down the line. This small bull came trotting towards me down the trail. I let out a cow call just before he was straight across from me, and he hesitated long enough for me to get the shot.
Next close shot was a 5 pt elk at 11 yds. This one was the most exciting as we were bugling back and forth for a while before I got the shot.
Have had lots of close encounters with moose. My closest shot was about 12 to 15 yds. I usually do the calling for moose, so my partners have had the close encounters. I called one in for my buddy at 3 feet. He was on his knees and he had to lean back and up to shoot. Talk about adrenaline. I have shot about a dozen moose and the average shots have been under 20 yds.
I'm heading out again on Sept 3'rd for our annual Elk hunt for about 10 days and our annual moose hunt will start on Sept 26'th.
Can't wait to hear the bugles and grunts again. Music to my ears.

What do you use for a moose call. My uncle drew a bull moose tag this year. I very much want to call it in for him, but don't know what to use for a call.

My closest bow kill was a cow elk @ about 4yrds. Spotted her feeding about 30yrds away. She was feeding up the hill towards me, so I sat and waited for her to turn broad side. She just kept feeding closer. She finally got right to me. So as she was feeding her head went behind the tree directly in front of me. I then drew my bow. She kept feeding, starting to turn accross me in order to not walk over my position. As she moved, the bow followed her. She seemed to notice this out of the corner of her eye, took one more step to look at me, and I loosed the arrow. Very exciting.

Have had others this close but could not get the shot because they were straight on. Thats when you wonder if they are going to stomp you, or run. Nothing gets more exciting.

Steve

For the bull grunt, I use a funnel made of birch bark, and for the cow call I just cup my hands together. All my vocalization is done with my own voice. I live in an area where the moose are around all the time, so I have had lots of opportunities to ovbserve and listen to their sounds right from off of my deck.

For the bull grunt, I use a funnel made of birch bark, and for the cow call I just cup my hands together. All my vocalization is done with my own voice. I live in an area where the moose are around all the time, so I have had lots of opportunities to ovbserve and listen to their sounds right from off of my deck.

Thanks for the info. I've been around them a fair bit during the rut, but not enough to be confident in my vocal.

Do you know of a good call?

Sorry for going in a diff direction. Send me a pm if you do.

Steve