Your .22 ammo for 300 yards and longer with a 10/22.

woodnut

Hey folks. Well, I have the 10/22 built and fine scope on it. At 50 yards, it ain't no problem to get sub 1/2 inch groups. But when I stretch it out to 300, hard to keep it inside five inches on a calm day!
I also have a CZ 455 that will shoot MOA at 300, but I believe this 10/22 will do that or maybe better....with the right ammo.
You know to "handload" a .22 rimfire, you try as many brands, bullet weights, velocities, etc. as your checkbook and time will allow. Best that I tried at 50 is rather expensive; the Wolf Match Extra. I only have about 14 rounds left and will find a quiet day to try them at 300. Tried my sub-sonic Fiocchi and Normas, and may re-visit them again. Tried Reminton/Eley Club, Eley Standard, and some others with not much success.
Which brings me to the question for you: please share your successes using your 10/22 at 300. I'd like to know what ammo you found worked for you and how they grouped. Be honest about the group sizes,ok? ;):rolleyes: Also, describe your setup,please.

Seems it would be hard to find a load that would shoot excellent at 50 and good at 300....unless it was in a bolt gun...
The actions of the semi would have a definite affect on the power of the bullet leaving the barrel.....
Is this not correct.....

Agreed, and I won't get as accurate with the 10/22 as my 455. But, I still search for better ammo for 300 and longer. I think it's out there and I believe the semi can do better than I am getting now.

Hey folks. Well, I have the 10/22 built and fine scope on it. At 50 yards, it ain't no problem to get sub 1/2 inch groups. But when I stretch it out to 300, hard to keep it inside five inches on a calm day!
I also have a CZ 455 that will shoot MOA at 300, but I believe this 10/22 will do that or maybe better....with the right ammo.
You know to "handload" a .22 rimfire, you try as many brands, bullet weights, velocities, etc. as your checkbook and time will allow. Best that I tried at 50 is rather expensive; the Wolf Match Extra. I only have about 14 rounds left and will find a quiet day to try them at 300. Tried my sub-sonic Fiocchi and Normas, and may re-visit them again. Tried Reminton/Eley Club, Eley Standard, and some others with not much success.
Which brings me to the question for you: please share your successes using your 10/22 at 300. I'd like to know what ammo you found worked for you and how they grouped. Be honest about the group sizes,ok? ;):rolleyes: Also, describe your setup,please.
Did you ever find a suitable ammo? My first 10-22 liked Norma Tac 22, I never shot paper but on steel I'd say my group size at 300 on most days was around 2moa, depending on wind whether it was mostly vertical or horizontal spread. It was a target version with a Green Mtn barrel swap and a Titan stock.
My next 2 - 10-22's were the target light version, one with the aluminum sleeved barrel. I shot lead in one, copper the other, lead version did not like Tac 22, I did not test a lot of ammo and it shot FGGM LV decent.
I came to the conclusion with 10-22 that just the violence of the action itself, unless tuned, actually deforms a fair share of lead bullets. Add in loading mags with lubed ammo, every rd you load you disrupt the lube pattern. I know these rifles can be accurate at distance, seemed to me that relying on them everyday is a crap shoot.
My latest is a Ruger race rifle, and I have only tried CCI SV, and with the scope that is on it, I can only dial to 250, non windy days it is relatively accurate. I suppose someone will say my sample size is too small, but SV in wind over 6-7mph is plain garbage.
Being I have 22LR's that will shoot to 6-700 yards in good conditions, I would not rely on a 10-22 today for the task.