You want to scope WHAT???

Clovis Man

My Garand. I can no longer see through the sights, so I'm going to put a scope on her. That decision is firm.

Now -- I have one of the B-Square mounts in the safe. You remove the rear sight, and the B-Square mounts to the left of the left sight "ear". The scope ends up offset to the left, so that empty brass and clips can eject, and so you can reload. You then have to use a pad on the stock if you want to get any cheek weld.

All that I'm OK with. It will allow me to shoot my old rifle again, with some assurance of hitting what I'm trying to hit.

The question is what scope to use. I'm thinking the scope has to be rotated 90 degrees to the left to keep the windage knob from being hit with brass or clip. That lets out all the nice duplex reticles, so I need either a fine crosshair, or maybe an illuminated Mil-Dot.

I probably won't shoot further than, say, 600 yards or so, but I won't rule out trying an occasional 1000-yard shot at paper or steel, if the opportunity arises.

The Garand shoots .30-'06. The rounds are a bit light, though, to prevent damaging the operating rod.

Can I get some suggestions? I've been thinking HARD on a Weaver K6, an old one in a steel tube if possible, but they seem a bit tough to find.

Any standard duplex should work fine if you have to rotate the scope 90 degrees. You obviously couldn't use one of the BDC type reticles, but a duplex is the same in all directions. Up/Dn on the erector becomes L/R etc. but that's easy to figure out. A fair number of people do it to help ejection on bolt rifles.

Thanks for the info. I think it's going to be a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical. At least I think that's the title. I've been up since 2 AM and nothing makes a lot of sense right now.

Before you buy a scope, you need to look at the elevation it has in it.

As the scope base will be zero MOA, you are going to need around 30-35 MOA up to get to 1000. I would not get a scope with less than 70 internal MOA.

Just food for thought

You might want to look at Ultimak's website before buying. They do a "scout" mount setup that allows a long eye relief scope to be mounted just forward of the front of your receiver, so that the "offset" issue of the system you described is eliminated.

Well -- that isn't why I don't like the B-Square mount. I got it on the rifle and almost couldn't get it to stop rocking forward and back. The rings that come with it are so low that I had to buy higher rings. Installing this thing hasn't been a lot of fun.

I finally have it all together, and now I have to go to the range and see where it's shooting. The more I look at this mount, the more I dread sighting it in.

The "trick" to sighting in a parallel but not superimposed optic is to either accept to offset in your point of aim, or choose a distance for the intersection of POI/POA and then have to correct for all other distances. The simpler method is the first one. Accept that your POI will always have to be to the right of your POA by the width of the offset in your platform, and dial or hold for various ranges as we usually do. If you want to use the intersection method, zero for windage at the longest distance you intend to shoot, not the closest. This makes for the least headaches when adjusting for other ranges. As for the "rocking" you describe, you may want try inserting a small shim and after checking to make sure you get an acceptable zero use bedding compound to fix the shim in place. Use release agent on the rifle but not on the mount, so the shim is glued to the mount and you can remove it and restore the rifle to original condition if you ever decide to part with it.

Good info, 7Mag. I looked last night, and the set screw at the rear of the sight is almost turned out the bottom of the mount, and the set screw at the front of the mount isn't even touching the rifle. I'm sure glad I bought that 200-round special from CMP a while back.

You might want to look at Ultimak's website before buying. They do a "scout" mount setup that allows a long eye relief scope to be mounted just forward of the front of your receiver, so that the "offset" issue of the system you described is eliminated.

i have the scout setup on my m1 garand and there's several annoying problems with it:

1) your selection of scopes is EXTREMELY limited
2) there is only ONE scope with parallax adjustment. this matters when you want to take your garand out to 600+
3) there are exactly ZERO scopes with any reticle tic marks. super annoying.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.