You might be a redneck "IF"

Ok, I guess I'm a wet blanket. With respect, I can't cotton to the idea of "anthropomorphizing", ascribing human attributes (I looked it up), to a firearm. I just don't want to feel that friendly of comfortable with them by giving them a human name. Non-human names like "Hammer of Thor" or "Rattlesnake" are ok, but not "Betsy" or "Prarie Princess."

Like I've always advised my boys, "that rifle (or any firearm) will kill you just as dead as any animal, if you give it half a chance; so never trust it completely or get too friendly with it."

I know, training in safe gun handling should mitigate against those concerns, but still, that's just the way I feel.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
LewisH; no sweat. Different strokes. Just because I give some of my rifles names, doesn't mean I'm going to take long showers with them. Or that they are likely to turn on me and assasinate me. I do depend on them, though, to do what they are supposed to do, when they are supposed to do it. Every time. Some well-known gunner once said "the only use I have for a handgun is to fight my way to my rifle". That sounds pretty committed. Probably another Redneck.

Hope you're enjoying the thread, these guys have picked really good names!

Good hunting to you and your boys. Stay safe, Tom

On edit, forgot: I'm kinda leaning towards "Attila" for my .338 x .378 Wby. It does lay waste.

Last edited:
"Atttila" is an appropriate name for a 338/378... a formidable name for a formidable rifle.

What I meant was that I just can't see giving "cutesy" names to firearms.

On second thought, 52449, you may be right. A feminine name for a complicated instrument of uncompromising destructiveness is particularly fitting...but it takes time for our young boys to understand that.

LewisH; I do believe you get it. If you do decide to name a favorite rifle, it's good to really think about it first. I built my M1A for service rifle competition back in '82, and on the first trip to Perry, during SAFS, I named it. Never told anyone. Once I learned to put only 168gr Sierra MK's in it, I was glad I didn't, but in my mind, it'll always be "shithead".

Good hunting. Tom

Once they get a name, I can't bring myself to sell them. (although someone took Dolly away from me)
My muzzle loaders have female names. (something Freudian there)

"Atttila" is an appropriate name for a 338/378... a formidable name for a formidable rifle.

What I meant was that I just can't see giving "cutesy" names to firearms.

On second thought, 52449, you may be right. A feminine name for a complicated instrument of uncompromising destructiveness is particularly fitting...but it takes time for our young boys to understand that.

You speak the truth Lewis. But I can't live with out mine. I guess I like the danger.

Well, I have a safe full of guns without names. I told my wife about this thread and that I wanted to name my soon to arrive 338AM. She looked at me and without missing a beat she said "Name it Lucky" I asked her why, she smiled and said, "You're lucky I let you get it!"

So there it is, As soon as I get it, it will be named "Lucky".

AJ

J E

My best rifle is an 7 mm 08 I have ab Rem 700 VLS an a CDL .
I like to shoot an 120 Nosler BT

Can you give me some of you load Info ?

Redbone

Redbone I sent uou a P M on this to keep from Hijacking this thread.

I hope it helps
J E CUSTOM

I've only named one of my guns so far. It's my 338 EDGE.

I think I've only named it, because it is my most favorite and from the first trigger pull it has never failed me.

I named it Vesper, because not only is she a beautiful to behold, but anything that gets lined up in her cross hairs better say a prayer, because its going to get hit and hit hard! :)

Devin

Well , that was fun!!!

I liked all of the names so I must be a redneck.

I have a rifle that I tell people is my county to county rifle
but realy like Shawns name "Zip Code" might steal it if he doesen,t
mind.

Thanks again for the response
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts