Yote hunting from a distance.

birdhunter88

Well I went out yesterday (Mon., 7/19) to do alittle Coyote hunting early in the morning. I got to one of my favorite pheasant hunting spots where I often see alot of yotes. Drove around the area trying to decide where I wanted to set up and be able to have a clear shot at a yote and I finally decided to walk to the middle of CRP field that over looks a creek line that is inbetween two corn fields. I pulled out my e-caller and I had some how left the **** thing on, DEAD BATTERIES ! Oh well, I took out my dog barker caller and made some yote barks with it and then switched to my Rabbit Distress call. I didn't call very long as this is my first experiance ever trying to call yote and still hunting. And I figured too little is better than too much. But WOW, are those Rabbit in Distress calls ever ear piercing.... may have to wear ear plugs while using one of them again.

I hadn't sat there 10 minutes after I stopped calling and out of the one corn field comes a Coyote right into the clearing next to the waterway. I quickly grabbed my range finder and gave him a shot with that and he was right at 415 yards. Now I know what my Tikka T3 .243 will do out to 200 yards but yet to fire it any further than that due to the fact that Black Hawk Park's rifle range only goes out to 200 yards. Knowing by the ballistics that I read on Federal website for their ammo. I knew that I had the gun sighted in at 200 yards and that there should be a 5-6 in drop at 300 yards and 15 -16 drop at 400 yards with using the Federal .243 85 gr. Sierra Gameking HPBT rounds. So a long shot was not out of the question. I had surveyed the area over pretty good and knew my back drop. No farm houses, road, livestock, pointing down hill so I wasn't worried about a round going astray at all.

I watched the yote for just a few seconds and had to determine if he was going to come my way into the CRP field or go back into the corn. I decided what the hell, I guess I was more surprised that I actually called a coyote out more than anything. So I put the cross hairs on him and aimed alittle high (guessing and trying to remember the ballistic figures), fired a shot, MISS ! But ****, I was close you could see the dirt blow into the air right where it seemed to be where the yote had been standing. I figured that I had fired alittle to high, but I could tell that my shot was very very close to its mark.

I went down to where he had been to double check and make sure that I hadn't hit him. I was hoping I had. I found the spot and could not find any blood but I could see where he was moving sideways trying to get the hell out Dodge by the way he bent over the outside row of corn.

I made it back to the truck and was soaking wet from walking through the wet grass. Forgot my rain pants ! Carhardts are like spoanges in that wet grass. I visited a couple farmer friends while in the area and tried another field with the same tactics. No yotes but I did see a nice buck and some pheasants. But most of all It was just a plain nice day to be outside.

It was just absolutely an awesome feeling to be able to experiance calling a yote out like that and then having the ability to reach out and touch em from that kind of distance. I learned some lessons today. Batteries, water proof pants for walking through the grass. Set-ups are important due to the tall corn in the fields and you want to be able see and have a clear field of view for those long range shots. But most of all, it just gives a person another excuse to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors.

Sounds like a fun outing.
If you get a chance get out and practice at those longer ranges and you will build your confidence that you can make the shot.
After you are done hunting for the day take some practice out in the field if you have no room at your range.
Thanks for posting your story, good one.

You know I thought about that too. I even brought along some targets and stakes to set out for those 300, 400 and 500 yard shots. But by the time I was done yote hunting and the sun was nice and high in the sky and the humidty starting to drench me. I just said, time to go home. I really wished I would of done some practice in the field at 3,4 and 500 yds. But I figure I will just do that another day when its not quite so hot and humid. Thanks for the reply

bird

If you ever make down here to MO, we'll get together and I'll help you get some dogs. Been doing it for around ten years so I got a few kills notched on my rifle.
Shoot me an email if you want and we see if we can hook up- I am always looking for a calling buddy and new places to hunt!
[email protected]
Chris

Sounds fun.

In my 22" sako the Federal 85gr BTHP factory load chronoed at 3,125 fps somewhat less than the 3,300 or so fps that is on the box. It's a great load but don't believe those drop figures!

I have a 6x284.I've only shot at two coyotes with it.One at 45yds,the other a 341yds.Killed them both.The close one came in on an electronic Crow call.Secound was just checking out a meadow.I aimed at the top of his back,with an 87.gr.Hornady V-Max.3,350 FPS.Bullet never exited the yote looked like he was electrocuted.Close yote hit him broadside with a 80 Nosler Balistic tip.I know for fact the bullet was moving 3,900FPS.Yote did a 180 degree turn and died.I thought I would see a big exit hole,noap! exit was the size of the entrance not hardly even a drop of blood.Looking forward to next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.