Yoga helps....seriously

jlanman22

If you guys are anything like me you will think you are too manly to do yoga. I was having some serious lower back and hip pain and hate going to the doctor so I thought I'd give it a shot. After doing it 3-5 days a week for one month I have to say I feel like a whole new man. It's honestly amazing the difference, just feel better in almost every way. Does anyone else do this as a part of their fitness routine?

I did some after my back surgery 5 years ago, definitely helped with recovery. I quit after I felt better, but should prpbabpr start doing it again to help prevent further injury.

I "try" to do yoga with my wife and it definitely works. Feel like I got rolled in an alley when I'm finished

I'm a huge yoga fan, it keeps my spine straight, and builds alot of lower body strength with the impact of weight training.

Funny story about back pain and yoga...the thing that fixed my back was reluctantly going to Disneyland.
My vehicle was hit by an IED in Afghanistan Xmas 2012 and my back was all messed up. Anyways a few years later I tried to get it checked out and the doctor told me to take up yoga. Last year I actually tried it and it didn't do anything. Just a isometric work out with a stretch.

My back hurt so bad, and the pain shot down my front leg, my *** and made my left tesicle numb. So you surgeons out there..think about that.

So I'm at Disneyland last month for my wife's bday gift and we are standing in line for a ride. I pushed my back where the effected area ....hard....against the the handrails. My back cracked and it hurt SO bad, but then it felt good almost immediately after. It felt like I relocated a dislocated joint.

Anyways the next day I got delivered this 800 lb liberty safe and i hurt my back again trying to move it, so I relaxed for a few days and had help with the safe. Now, it's like I'm a new man. My back still has aches and pains but THAT one never came back, I can bend over again, sit on longer trips and my pack doesn't hurt as bad.

I guess the point is, if you're doctor tells you to take up yoga, go find a new doctor.

Last edited:
52 with back wore out from heavy lifting and considering surgery. Met at PT who is into all natural remedies. He talked me into trying yoga with some Tia Chi mix in. I must say I feel 90 percent better.

I have recently added yoga to my workouts and I am really enjoying it. My back has never felt better and my hamstrings are finally getting a little more flexibility. I'm not going to lie every class hurts as I am not flexible at all but I have definitely felt the benefits of the class.

Back when I was a rookie cop I met a guy in an alley. When the dust settled he went to a level one trauma center, I stayed local. Four ruptured disks in my back. Yoga saved my career. Retired in 2011,
My yoga instructor likes to fish, shows up every July in Alaska helps me get my back working right. Yep, I think it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    529.7 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    990 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    750.8 KB · Views: 448
Funny story about back pain and yoga...the thing that fixed my back was reluctantly going to Disneyland.
My vehicle was hit by an IED in Afghanistan Xmas 2012 and my back was all messed up. Anyways a few years later I tried to get it checked out and the doctor told me to take up yoga. Last year I actually tried it and it didn't do anything. Just a isometric work out with a stretch.

My back hurt so bad, and the pain shot down my front leg, my --- and made my left tesicle numb. So you surgeons out there..think about that.

So I'm at Disneyland last month for my wife's bday gift and we are standing in line for a ride. I pushed my back where the effected area ....hard....against the the handrails. My back cracked and it hurt SO bad, but then it felt good almost immediately after. It felt like I relocated a dislocated joint.

Anyways the next day I got delivered this 800 lb liberty safe and i hurt my back again trying to move it, so I relaxed for a few days and had help with the safe. Now, it's like I'm a new man. My back still has aches and pains but THAT one never came back, I can bend over again, sit on longer trips and my pack doesn't hurt as bad.

I guess the point is, if you're doctor tells you to take up yoga, go find a new doctor.
Glad you made it home, sincerely hope you can get your back fixed.