Yellowstone Bison

Years ago I read a ranger quote when asked about bears. He said everyone worries about bears, but for every time someone see's a bear in the park, we have 9 bison incidents. Cars or people bashed. Population dynamics may have changed it's been decades.

I've almost got to see some smashes first hand, dang buffalo changed its mind after seeing some Bo Duke hood sliding.

I had a bison farm next to the horse farm I kept my horse many years ago. Two full grown bulls got out and were wreaking havoc in a subdivision about a mile away. Local PD came to our farm for help. One of the officers knew me and "thought" we could just rope them and walk them home! After extensive snot shooting nose laughter from us, he got message prob not good idea. But we saddled up to see if we could push them in a direction. We ended up chasing them through a yard back out to the wide open spaces back to their farm. Did I mention they went through stockade fence at the house splintering it like firewood? They go where they want to go. We had no say!😂 They would turn periodically and just charge us on the horses. Just because they can! The funny part was the farmer who owned them showed up on a 110cc high whine dirt bike. This little bike scared the living crap out of two 2,000 lb bulls so bad they ran all the way back into their 6" welded pipe pen to get away from that "monster"! They are just pure attitude that most do not understand at all.

We went to the Bison refuge last Fall and were remarking how huge they were...then we came around a bend and all by his lonesome was this MONSTER of an animal almost impossible to imagine it was the same species. Like the Shaqdaddy of bison. He was spent from breeding season and barely raised his head.

I seriously doubt they are rutting. I know for fact the give birth starting in May. Last year and year before I went memorial day and say tiny light brown baby calves. That would mean Sept. like elk. Deer and elk here have fawns and calves in June. Elk rut in Sept. to early Oct.. Deer start around Nov. 5th to close to end of Nov.. That's a fact Jack. I'll Google buff rut.

I spent 4 days in Yellowstone with my son about a week ago to celebrate his 18th birthday. I had to go to Wyoming for work for a few days anyway, so I just took him along and extended the trip to include some time in Yellowstone on the way home. We spent most of the time hiking away from the roads, trying to stay away from the crowds since that was something my son always talked about doing. My activity level is a little limited these days after a heart attack about a year ago, and some respiratory problems after my second round of COVID. Those issues, combined with going from sea level elevation at my house to the 7,000'+ elevation at the park, make it hard for me to do much hiking. My son went out of his way to plan hikes that I could do without too much trouble. I know there were others he wanted to try but he knows I just can't keep up. I was really worried he'd be disappointed about having to do the "easy" hikes because of me.

My greatest memory of that trip, (and probably best ever with my son) is hiking through Sentinel Medows early one morning and coming across a herd of about 75-80 bison. We watched them for nearly an hour from about 200 yards away. We decided to move on and came down the trail about 50 yards where it wrapped around a small hill. My son was about 5 yards in front of me when he came to a sudden stop and crouched down. He quickly crawled backward towards me on his hands and knees, quietly "screaming" that there was a huge bison bull 15 yards around the bend. As soon as he said that, we heard the bull get up and start shuffling around. We quietly (and frantically LOL) backed down the trail and up the hill to get a better view. We were now about 50 yards away and had a clear view of an absolutely massive bull that had been bed down right on the trail.

We sat quietly for another 30 minutes while the bull, very much aware of our presence, took his sweet time wandering towards the rest of the herd. We've encountered plenty of bison at shorter distances while we were in the vehicle at Yellowstone and other parks, but that encounter out in the wild was an entirely different experience. They just seem more impressive when you're away from the roads and the crowds. It's hard to appreciate the sheer size of those animals sometimes.

I had a rule with my son while we were out there that it was a cell phone and camera-free zone. I wanted him to focus on really remembering the small details, the smells, sounds, and feel of being out there, and not just take pictures to remember what he thought would be highlights of the trip. That hike was the only time I regretted not having a camera.

Thats OTE="yorke-1, post: 2582514, member: 11960"] I spent 4 days in Yellowstone with my son about a week ago to celebrate his 18th birthday. I had to go to Wyoming for work for a few days anyway, so I just took him along and extended the trip to include some time in Yellowstone on the way home. We spent most of the time hiking away from the roads, trying to stay away from the crowds since that was something my son always talked about doing. My activity level is a little limited these days after a heart attack about a year ago, and some respiratory problems after my second round of COVID. Those issues, combined with going from sea level elevation at my house to the 7,000'+ elevation at the park, make it hard for me to do much hiking. My son went out of his way to plan hikes that I could do without too much trouble. I know there were others he wanted to try but he knows I just can't keep up. I was really worried he'd be disappointed about having to do the "easy" hikes because of me. My greatest memory of that trip, (and probably best ever with my son) is hiking through Sentinel Medows early one morning and coming across a herd of about 75-80 bison. We watched them for nearly an hour from about 200 yards away. We decided to move on and came down the trail about 50 yards where it wrapped around a small hill. My son was about 5 yards in front of me when he came to a sudden stop and crouched down. He quickly crawled backward towards me on his hands and knees, quietly "screaming" that there was a huge bison bull 15 yards around the bend. As soon as he said that, we heard the bull get up and start shuffling around. We quietly (and frantically LOL) backed down the trail and up the hill to get a better view. We were now about 50 yards away and had a clear view of an absolutely massive bull that had been bed down right on the trail. We sat quietly for another 30 minutes while the bull, very much aware of our presence, took his sweet time wandering towards the rest of the herd. We've encountered plenty of bison at shorter distances while we were in the vehicle at Yellowstone and other parks, but that encounter out in the wild was an entirely different experience. They just seem more impressive when you're away from the roads and the crowds. It's hard to appreciate the sheer size of those animals sometimes. I had a rule with my son while we were out there that it was a cell phone and camera-free zone. I wanted him to focus on really remembering the small details, the smells, sounds, and feel of being out there, and not just take pictures to remember what he thought would be highlights of the trip. That hike was the only time I regretted not having a camera. [/QUOTE]
I spent 4 days in Yellowstone with my son about a week ago to celebrate his 18th birthday. I had to go to Wyoming for work for a few days anyway, so I just took him along and extended the trip to include some time in Yellowstone on the way home. We spent most of the time hiking away from the roads, trying to stay away from the crowds since that was something my son always talked about doing. My activity level is a little limited these days after a heart attack about a year ago, and some respiratory problems after my second round of COVID. Those issues, combined with going from sea level elevation at my house to the 7,000'+ elevation at the park, make it hard for me to do much hiking. My son went out of his way to plan hikes that I could do without too much trouble. I know there were others he wanted to try but he knows I just can't keep up. I was really worried he'd be disappointed about having to do the "easy" hikes because of me.

My greatest memory of that trip, (and probably best ever with my son) is hiking through Sentinel Medows early one morning and coming across a herd of about 75-80 bison. We watched them for nearly an hour from about 200 yards away. We decided to move on and came down the trail about 50 yards where it wrapped around a small hill. My son was about 5 yards in front of me when he came to a sudden stop and crouched down. He quickly crawled backward towards me on his hands and knees, quietly "screaming" that there was a huge bison bull 15 yards around the bend. As soon as he said that, we heard the bull get up and start shuffling around. We quietly (and frantically LOL) backed down the trail and up the hill to get a better view. We were now about 50 yards away and had a clear view of an absolutely massive bull that had been bed down right on the trail.

We sat quietly for another 30 minutes while the bull, very much aware of our presence, took his sweet time wandering towards the rest of the herd. We've encountered plenty of bison at shorter distances while we were in the vehicle at Yellowstone and other parks, but that encounter out in the wild was an entirely different experience. They just seem more impressive when you're away from the roads and the crowds. It's hard to appreciate the sheer size of those animals sometimes.

I had a rule with my son while we were out there that it was a cell phone and camera-free zone. I wanted him to focus on really remembering the small details, the smells, sounds, and feel of being out there, and not just take pictures to remember what he thought would be highlights of the trip. That hike was the only time I regretted not having a camera.
That's an awesome story and trip ! What date were you in the Park ? I was there Sunday the 16th a few days after my birthday also.

Many years ago I was bow hunting pigs and goats on Catalina Island . There were buffalo there that the Wrigley's owned. They were wild and quite a few of them. One day I saw this huge bull down the hill from me by itself. I always carried a Minolta 7000 35mm camera with 400 and 50mm lenses in a holster type set up. I set my pack and bow down and snuck to about 25 yds of him and took some photos . I looked up at my pack and said what the heck ? Looked with binos and there was a "Santa Catalina Island kit fox" digging in my pack. Then I thought, my sandwich ! I hustled back up the hill And it took of when I got about 10 yds from pack. I crouched down and got my camera out with 400mm on it and squeaked on my hand and he came running right up to about 4 yds from me and stopped. Click click click. He turned and took off. Photos came out great. Photos of buffalo came out great also.
I have another kind of scary story about buffalo on the island I'll tell if you want after I give my finger a rest ...

Last edited:
I seriously doubt they are rutting. I know for fact the give birth starting in May. Last year and year before I went memorial day and say tiny light brown baby calves. That would mean Sept. like elk. Deer and elk here have fawns and calves in June. Elk rut in Sept. to early Oct.. Deer start around Nov. 5th to close to end of Nov.. That's a fact Jack. I'll Google buff rut.
Do you think all animals have the same gestation time?

QUOTE="Taco John, post: 2582669, member: 109079"]
Do you think all animals have the same gestation time?
[/QUOTE]
Is that being sarcastic or a real question ? Maybe you can research it in your prison library for us ?

Last edited:
That's an awesome story and trip ! What date were you in the Park ? I was there Sunday the 16th a few days after my birthday also

We were there from the 10th-14th.

This was our third trip there, and by far the best. The previous trips were pretty short and we didn't do much hiking since my daughter (not very outdoorsy) was with us. The goal this time was to get away from the road side attractions and really experienced the park. The only animal we didn't get too see while out hiking was a moose. We had a pretty quick look at 3 wolves on the Mary Mountain trail on our first day, that was a great start. Day 2 we saw 3 different black bear, all different color phases, and the bison encounter.

Day 4 we saw a grizzly sow with 2 cubs wile walking part of the Howard Eaton trail. We were fortunate enough to watch the grizzly and cubs for nearly 90 minutes from about 250 yards away. It was a lot like the bison up close, it's hard to appreciate the size and strength of a grizzly until you've had an opportunity to watch one in the wild. That experience alone made the money I spent on the Swaro spotter a few years ago with it!

And just to cause trouble, I don't know why anyone thinks a 10mm would be sufficient protection against a grizzly bear…….. lol

We were there from the 10th-14th.

This was our third trip there, and by far the best. The previous trips were pretty short and we didn't do much hiking since my daughter (not very outdoorsy) was with us. The goal this time was to get away from the road side attractions and really experienced the park. The only animal we didn't get too see while out hiking was a moose. We had a pretty quick look at 3 wolves on the Mary Mountain trail on our first day, that was a great start. Day 2 we saw 3 different black bear, all different color phases, and the bison encounter.

Day 4 we saw a grizzly sow with 2 cubs wile walking part of the Howard Eaton trail. We were fortunate enough to watch the grizzly and cubs for nearly 90 minutes from about 250 yards away. It was a lot like the bison up close, it's hard to appreciate the size and strength of a grizzly until you've had an opportunity to watch one in the wild. That experience alone made the money I spent on the Swaro spotter a few years ago with it!

And just to cause trouble, I don't know why anyone thinks a 10mm would be sufficient protection against a grizzly bear…….. lol
That sounded like a lot of fun ! I didn't see any griz this trip. Saw two black bears when heading north towards Mammoth Hot Springs . No joke . One was sitting on its butt with back against tree ! I thought somebody put a stuffed bear there. Saw some elk. Nice bull..I haven't seen moose there for 3 years. Not many elk and very few deer. All Scooby snacks for wolves. I haven't seen any moose around here for a few years either. Have to go to the Bighorn's where there are no wolves or Grizz. As far as 10mm. A pistol is your last defense I guess so it's better than nothing. I carry my rifle , a Glock 20, bear spray and an 8 in. Straight blade knife and depending where I hunt my oldest dog also. I think probably the 16 rds with a 10mm is one reason with reasonable power. I'd like to hike some of Yellowstone but my knee it shot. Replacement in Jan..