Yeah! finally made to 500 yards

Doe

Not really long for some of you guys, but long for me for now till i can find a place that it can shoot longer :D

Attachments

• 500 yard club 027.jpg
    500 yard club 027.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 124
Id love to see my *** (5'7") carry that thing through the mountains in virginia/kentucky. Nice grouping and I give you a tip of the hat for getting out to 500. I cant even SEE 500 where i live.. unless its on the highway haha

Congrats.

Now you just may realize something I've been teaching people forever. Mechanically there's no difference in 100-300-500-1,000 or beyond.

Have faith in yourself, your equipment, your ammo, know your drops and windage and you can still get it done to the limits of your equipment.

It's having precision equipment that makes the difference beyond 600 and it looks like you are well equipped so the rest is practice, practice, note keeping, and more practice.

I just qualified on the 1,000 yard with a 270 hunting rifle. Had never shot range beyond 300 before that. Had some 1 shot 600 yard kills on deer but nothing on the range. Actually I didn't see any difference between the 300 yard sight in, the 600 yard qualification and the 1,000 yard qualification.

I had the clicks calculated to compensate for the drop and it was still just put the cross hairs on the bull and squeeze the trigger. Fortunately we did not have any wind that day so I only had a 3" left drift from the wind.

Of course, it helps to have the range verfied and the drop compensation clicks already calculated. Would be a FAR different thing with just visual range estimation and kentucky windage like the sniper in the Un-Civil War that had the 1,200 yard kill.

Windage will be the big thing. You can get a feel for that by doing the external ballistics calculations and checking the wind drift at 600 & 1000. Gets into the 12' range.

Good luck.

Congrats on shooting 500 yards.

Nice rifle - give us some more pics and specs of that shootin' stick

Looks like you're shooting mild steel. You need some AR500. Check with this guy to see if he has anything left in stock...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f43/steel-targets-ar-500-cheap-76016/

If he is out of stock, search for AR500 on ebay and google search for it. You will find lots of vendors. A 12x12 piece will not cost you much and it will virtually last forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.