Y’all Ever See This?

DoneNOut

First shots and hand loads out of the new 783 243 @ 100yds. 105 Amax down the tube first. Total warm & fuzzy feeling with results. Then I shoot 100 HDY BTSP and Sierra 85gr and they hit 2-2.5 inches left. I've never experienced such a POI change on loads. Is this legit or something deeper and more sinister going on? The arrows are pointing to my point of aim.
6CB90BBC-5133-4ECC-8129-A7F4F348C156.jpeg
D1D0F546-F05E-4FCA-9DEB-329ED7528C7D.jpeg

I've seen more deviation than that. I switched ammo in my 7mm wby mag, and both loads were 160gr. At 100y I wasn't even on paper. I had a 12" wide target, so it was more than 6".

The gun is new. So wouldn't worry too much yet.
Didn't mention if these loads were worked up or just middle of the road for barrel break-in. If it were me, I'd keep shooting the 105 Amax until your chronograph avg speeds are steady. Then work up 10 shot ladders of each bullet, and go from there on final load development.

Did the poi for the amaxs come back to zero after shooting the sierra? I have seen similar not quite this bad. A good bedding job fixed most of this issue for me. May want to check action screws also.
That's the question circling my brain right now. I shot all the 105 Amax loads before the others. I will need to get back out with the 105 Amaxes again so I can sleep at night! 😄 Bedding job someday, but I torqued and loctited the actions screws pervious to firing.

Did you clean the barrel between switching loads and then start load test over? Many times when switching between loads with differ powders and projectiles will cause issues with poi. I always clean between load testing. After cleaning I fire 2 fouling shots with the new test load recipe. Fire my test group and then repeat the process. Keep it uniform for all test loads.

very odd indeed. it almost looks like the scope shifted on you after your first few rounds. I had that happen on a customer's self scope install. the scope did not stay adjusted. it went down and to the right after the first 5 rounds and then stayed there. had to re-adjust it then it shifted again.. bad scope. got a new one and it was just as bad. then got a Burris and it was stable without shifting.

First shots and hand loads out of the new 783 243 @ 100yds. 105 Amax down the tube first. Total warm & fuzzy feeling with results. Then I shoot 100 HDY BTSP and Sierra 85gr and they hit 2-2.5 inches left. I've never experienced such a POI change on loads. Is this legit or something deeper and more sinister going on? The arrows are pointing to my point of aim. View attachment 247863View attachment 247864
I've had this happen with 243 and 3006. But I also do my zero and testing at 200 yrds.

My son's m700 mtn rifle in 7mm-08 shoots factory 120gr TTSX and BT's to the same poi and factory 140gr E-tips, Partitions and 139gr Interloks to the same poi 2" right of the 120's. At least it's consistent for factory load bullet weights. I've just started rolling my own so we'll find out if I can duplicate the results. I have 120gr ProHunters to try out in addition to 140gr Partitions and 139gr Interlocks. Waiting on the weather to co-opererate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts