xxx rated, Not for tender eyes. 300grn mk .338

7mmrowland

No this is not a praire dog shot with 22-250! We walked off with only the hind quarters and the back strapes.
375158689.jpg

+ 1 with prior posts.
Very interesting what happened there.
Please tell us more about the hunt, the shot, and picture explanations.

I thought it was a close up at first, hole finger sized, didn't look like a big deal but I couldn't figure out what had hair like that. HOLY CRAP, I guess it isn't a close up.

The picture your all looking at is a antalope shot this year. It was shot at about 100yds with my 338 lapua imp. with a 300grn mk at about 2950 fps, basically I wanted to see what would happen up close. The bullet entered about 3"s above the heart and exited taking the front shoulder blade and part of the neck. We had already removed the hind quarters then took a picture before removing the back strapes. The hole is big enough to but a ice cream pail for size comparison.:D I'll have to stick to shots beyond probly 600yds.:D

Match bullets on game can have unexpected results when shot from short distances. This is a perfect example. ^^
I would guess any bullet with any amount of horsepower behind it would be unpredictable, I've seen a nosler partition out of my old 300rum come apart also and ruin half a white tail deer.

well anytime your in doubt about how the bullet will hold up under high velocity impacts, stay off of heavy bone. My guess is the bullet clipped the shoulder blade on the onside at high velocity and initiated alot of expansion while still retaining alot of velocity. Match kings are not a good close range bullet when fired from a high velocity round.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.