XP - Center grip or rear grip

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I will be using a rifle scope and most times will be in a seated position because of terrain and vegetation where I hunt in Wisconsin. I'll have a bipod at the front and a tripod (Stoney Point Tagalong) for rear support. I am going with a 12 pound weight for my rig to reduce recoil and want to be able to spot my hits since I hunt alone most often.

Which should I get, center or rear?

I like the way the Mcmillan stock balances the 14" barrel on my old XP 100 action, but mine is used only from available rests or offhand. Also, I only use it as a .223 Rem. Recoil is not an issue. It does kill moose however.

When using a rifle scope you would want (at least I do) the ocular of the scope to be as close to you as possible. That is one of the advantages of the center-grip design.

I will second the center grip. It just has a better balance and I like the position of the gun being closer too.
I'll let you try one when we get together again, it's a 7br.

X4, and i especially like the McMillan in the Swirly pattern tho i doubt the color of the stock will have a lot to do with balance/fit/recoil reduction.

Len

I agree with everyone about the center grip but it does
have one drawback (the trigger link) it can be troublesome
with a real lite trigger.

I have a 7-08 with a heavy 16" ss hart and found 3" to 4"
of eye relief was not enough so I went to an intermediate
eye relief 2 x 7 burris, very tough and works great.

I also have a 444 marlin in a 14" barreled contender by JDJ
and due to very heavy recoil I use a 3x burris long eye relief and 4 scope rings(kept shearing off the 3rd ring on a
3 ring redfield set up).

I find both intermediate and long eye relief scopes perform
well so be carefull if you decide to use a rifel scope with
a heavy recoiling pistol.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

I too like the center grip, (HS), owned a couple of weatherby rear grips and sold them. just didn't like the feel or the accuracy.
hshunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Go to a local silhouette match and see if someone has a Mike Dewey or Dell Taylor trigger setup in their gun and I'll bet they'll let you try it, very nice down to 4 oz.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts