XP-100 - Things to check before buying ?

T/C Kent

Helo folks,
I'm Kent from Pennsylvania. I have been reading the forum for a few months and this is my first posting.

I have been shooting a Contender and enjoying it greatly. However, I would like to take a step up and get a bolt action.

There is a larger gun show the weekend of June 11 & 12 in our area. At past shows, I have seen the XP-100, not many, but some. They have ranged from $600 to $1000 (asking price) and that usually includes a mid grade scope.

I would like to do some serious haggling for a 22 centerfire at this show (221 fireball, 222 rem, 223 rem, 22-250).

Can any of you XP shooters give me three or four good point of interest to check so as to purchase a good one from a bad one? I know that is asking a lot, since I do not know my way around the XP platform. I just don't want to buy a copy that should have been passed over.

I am not hunting or shooting longrange. I am bench rest shooting, working on target groups at 200 yards, 223 rem, 12" Condender, Burris 3-12. (200 yards is as long as the local range has.)

Thank you to all,
Kent

Are you looking for the original center-grip/single-shot (dog-leg bolt handle) XP-100 or the rear grip, repeater version XP-100R?
Both?
You are going to have to have an idea of what a set of used base and rings are worth and what several of the typical LER scopes are worth used.

221 Fireball and 223 Rem are the only standard chamberings you will find with the center-grip XP's. Custom Shop made some others (maybe 22-250 and or 22 BR), but I am not sure.

When it comes to a customized XP, they can be worth a lot to the extreme of being butchered and worth less.

Use common sense, and do your homework ahead of time and have a sense of what its value may be, and be willing to walk away if needed.

Some of the auction sites on the web will have prices on XP's that are ridiculous, while others will be reasonable.
Without a scope I would try to get into one (original XP-100) for less than $600 if it was me.

Ernie,
Thank you for your reply.
I knew about the R model existing, but did not know it had a rear grip. I have not seen one at the gun shows. The R would be my first choice with a rear grip (I believe it would give better stability length over that of the center grip's design). I also believe that the R's had longer barrels over the original XP's. Is this true?

Hard to tell what may be at the upcoming show! I am in no hurry to purchase, just did not want to purchase wrongly. I am aware of scope & mount values if a XP is so offered.

Bottom line, as you said, use common sense, know the values, and walk away if needed. There will be other shows/swaps with other sellers.

Thank you much,
Kent

Kent,
It is easy to take off the center-grip stock, take off the center-grip trigger, and put it in to a rear grip stock and then you can use any trigger that you would on any Rem 700, and you know have a single-shot rear grip XP-100.
I have converted several single-shot center-grip XP's to rear-grip.

IMG_4269-1.gif

IMG_3844.jpg

You do have more cartridge choices with the XP-100R's than with the original XP-100's

All of my XP's have custom barrels. I have both center-grip XP's and rear grip XP's. Currently, I have never owned a XP-100R. They are basically a Model 7 action that Remington used to build specialty handguns with.
Like the XP-100, Remington no longer makes the XP-100R either now.

Ernie,
Thank you for the additional information on stock and trigger location change.

That being said, if I find a nice XP center grip, I will not shy away from it.

Thank you for adding the photos. Great looking handguns. You can take pride in your achivements and the lad's (your son?).

Kent

Attended the gun show this past Saturday.
Two XP were available.

1. An original XP in 221 Fireball, brown nylon stock, center grip, 10" barrel. This copy was in very poor condition... metal had heavy scrapes showing much abuse. Bore was pitted. Bolt was rough. Asking $550. I walked (ran)away.

2. A very nice one owner XP100R in 223 Rem. Repeater action, 4 in well plus 1 in chamber. Rear grip in a grey stippled fiberglass stock. Bolt was smooth as glass. Bore clean as a mirror. 16" taper barrel with very thin diameter at muzzle. Clear, older Burris EER 5x duplex scope on Leupold mount & rings. Too expensive for me. Seller would not move from $1200 asking price.

I did purchase a barrel for my Contender. Super 14 in high gloss with muzzle brake. 7-30 Waters. This mid 80's barrel looks like brand new. Haggled a bit. Purchased for $185. Stopped by my gun shop and ordered a Burris 3x-12x ballistic plex scope with Burris rings & mount. Also ordered a few boxes of Federal cartridges to get started.

Next gun show will be in September....
kent

$1200 is more than cabelas ask's for them. Every now and the cabelas by me will have one in the 'gun library' for around $900...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts