xp-100 for long range handgun hunting.

foxhunter

just completed the restock of my jarrett 6br xp-100, finished in a satin urythane finish. stock is by royal arms stocks.
probably will be my go to pistol for deer this up coming season. long range is a matter of perspective.

I've wanted to get one if these for backpacking. I know they aren't any lighter but the size seems desirable. I was looking into the Thompson center version in 7-08. These look like fun.

You might not get much respect around here for a pistol but I think xp's are cool. I would like to have one in 221 fireball. Nice rig.

Every time someone starts talking hunting with a pistol, I want to put a different barrel on my striker 22-250.... I'd like something like a 260 or 7-08 on it for deer...

to the o.p. ... nice looking 6... :D:D

funny you should mention 7mm. i also have this Wichita in 7mm ihsma (6.5 creedmoor) necked to 7mm for deer hunting. it really isn't necessary to shoot a 7mm as i shot 2 deer at 200+ yards with the 6br last season.

I hunt with my XP-100, but have not had the opportunity to shoot one over 125 yards, they all have been closer. I have a cntr grip 7BR and a rear grip 260. Both do a good job,

I find that when stocking, a center grip works best for me. If I am stand hunting, a rear grip works better for me.

Nice looking pistol!

You might not get much respect around here for a pistol but I think xp's are cool. I would like to have one in 221 fireball. Nice rig.

I'm a bit of an XP fanatic and I think many here would be surprised with what they can do especially when wildcatting. My 6.5 wsm xp is as accurate as any of my rifles to way out there and gives performance better than most regular 6.5 rifles. Faster than a 260 and about equal to a 6.5 284 in a much smaller package.

My xp 338 lapua imp is a force to be reckoned with. Yes you read that right.

Other than the ability to take a running shot easily you aren't giving up much and it's very fun to hunt with a hand canon...

Try it I think you'll like it.

By the way if you want to shoot out far it's common to put rifle scopes with turrets on an xp to get all the elevation you need at your fingertips. Takes some getting used to given the eye relief but when you get used to it it's not much different than a rifle just be sure to use a good break so she doesn't get you.

I've been kicking around the idea of a handgun like this for several years. I'm pretty fond of my single action Freedom Arms, so have been looking at one of their single shots. Anyone have any experiences with one?

just completed the restock of my jarrett 6br xp-100, finished in a satin urythane finish. stock is by royal arms stocks.
probably will be my go to pistol for deer this up coming season. long range is a matter of perspective.

Fox. That sure is purdy! This is my First love handguns for hunting from close to loooong range. Most dont know that many use these for 1000 + yards. These are very very capable and will shoot with most any rifle. All you have to do is see or talk to Ernie. Actually dont just reading his posts got me spending some serious money for my Encores.

I didn't jump into the xp at first I just tested the waters with my encores. But one of these are high on my list in the near future.

Best of luck with it

Brian

I shot a FA singleshot a few times last summer. The trigger was nice. But I'd much rather have a bolt gun.

Aaron

I agree, While I LOVE my FA single actions and feel there is no better revolver out there, if your looking at long range or general precision handgunning stick with the bolt gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts