Xmas Eve bomb!

Xs24-7

I've gone through a pile of coyote guns. I tend to build too heavy....regret it....replace with light...hate shooting it....go back bigger/heavier,.. repeat....last year I walked into a 6mm Custom build that I knew was too heavy, but shoots so good I carry it everywhere.
I often question why I haven't got something lighter, but this one has stuck around its second season(it's rare I keep something a year lol)...after a series of 80 yard deer, and a few close coyotes, I broke the longer range ice last weekend, taking 2 coyotes around 200 yards, including a great shot on a runner.
I woke up today to dead calm, and -29 degrees. I got bored watching the kids play Fortnite, and loaded up the car for a quick stand at a friends dairy farm.
I walked in past the hay bails, setting the call in a brush line and then tucking myself into a hay pile. Turning on some snowshoe distress, I started scanning the far bush line with my binos.
After about 10 minutes iI spotted a coyote breaking cover at the far edge of the field, around 650 yards away. It was cautious, and not committed at all. I kept trying to get a range, but the right sunlight and snow cover made that impossible. I didn't want to take a shot that far anyway, and was hoping it would commit and come closer.
The coyote left the field, and I worried I'd missed my chance. I switched it up to coyote distress, and it came back out a bit closer...but then left after sitting on the field edge for a while.
Finally I put on the lightening Jack and turned it up to 20. The coyote reappeared a bit closer again, but once again sat down on the bush line. I finally got a range, 527 yards. I knew 500 was 6moa, so I clicked to 6.25 and tried to get steady on my bog pod. The coyote was sitting up, 3/4 towards me. The trigger broke and I watched the coyote fall over in the scope! It popped up and ran another 5 yards into the field, then collapsed.
After watching for a few minutes in case it had a friend, I walked out and dragged it back. I'd never had a legit long range shot that required dial ups, and I was glad I had my heavy gun for the shot. The 6mm did zero damage to the pelt, with one hole in right in the front, and no exit.
It was a great way to get out of the house during the Xmas silliness. Can't wait to head to a new area Sunday and see if r can find more!

Attachments

• BF9A022B-4BF2-4A65-9CA1-C182A54123F1.jpeg
    BF9A022B-4BF2-4A65-9CA1-C182A54123F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 180
  • 8D2C73FE-CCE4-4E6B-907F-EF4DE60A759B.jpeg
    8D2C73FE-CCE4-4E6B-907F-EF4DE60A759B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 155
  • A7A44659-E6B7-4368-BEB6-4FE5A860E301.jpeg
    A7A44659-E6B7-4368-BEB6-4FE5A860E301.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 178
I've gone through a pile of coyote guns. I tend to build too heavy....regret it....replace with light...hate shooting it....go back bigger/heavier,.. repeat....last year I walked into a 6mm Custom build that I knew was too heavy, but shoots so good I carry it everywhere.
I often question why I haven't got something lighter, but this one has stuck around its second season(it's rare I keep something a year lol)...after a series of 80 yard deer, and a few close coyotes, I broke the longer range ice last weekend, taking 2 coyotes around 200 yards, including a great shot on a runner.
I woke up today to dead calm, and -29 degrees. I got bored watching the kids play Fortnite, and loaded up the car for a quick stand at a friends dairy farm.
I walked in past the hay bails, setting the call in a brush line and then tucking myself into a hay pile. Turning on some snowshoe distress, I started scanning the far bush line with my binos.
After about 10 minutes iI spotted a coyote breaking cover at the far edge of the field, around 650 yards away. It was cautious, and not committed at all. I kept trying to get a range, but the right sunlight and snow cover made that impossible. I didn't want to take a shot that far anyway, and was hoping it would commit and come closer.
The coyote left the field, and I worried I'd missed my chance. I switched it up to coyote distress, and it came back out a bit closer...but then left after sitting on the field edge for a while.
Finally I put on the lightening Jack and turned it up to 20. The coyote reappeared a bit closer again, but once again sat down on the bush line. I finally got a range, 527 yards. I knew 500 was 6moa, so I clicked to 6.25 and tried to get steady on my bog pod. The coyote was sitting up, 3/4 towards me. The trigger broke and I watched the coyote fall over in the scope! It popped up and ran another 5 yards into the field, then collapsed.
After watching for a few minutes in case it had a friend, I walked out and dragged it back. I'd never had a legit long range shot that required dial ups, and I was glad I had my heavy gun for the shot. The 6mm did zero damage to the pelt, with one hole in right in the front, and no exit.
It was a great way to get out of the house during the Xmas silliness. Can't wait to head to a new area Sunday and see if r can find more!
Mighty fine shooting ,and great pics,cold gets them moving.

Holy cow -29! good thing it was calm, the wind chill might have been ugly! What bullet and load were you shooting? Great pics and story and have similar rifle in .243 that weighs a lot but shoots lights out so I carry it!

Holy cow -29! good thing it was calm, the wind chill might have been ugly! What bullet and load were you shooting? Great pics and story and have similar rifle in .243 that weighs a lot but shoots lights out so I carry it!
It's a 6 Creedmoor shooting 105 Berger VLD at 3100. It's been rough on a couple closer ones this year, but no damage on this one and I was glad to have the horsepower!

Nice shot, wAy to close the deal 👍🤝👊 I shoot 105 Berger's in a 6XC@ 3200 with superformance powder, sometimes a mess sometimes not bad, but accurate..... just like my 204 better on coyotes 500 yards and closer, easier on hides

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.