XLR stock issues

Thatonekid

Hey all, I bought a 300 Norma built by lane precision off here and about e dry 5 rounds fired everything comes loose, muzzle break, bipod, rear pad, action bolts and I just noticed my bubble level moved forward about 1/2 in 12 rounds I fired today. I also would get a flier every third shot. First 2 were same hole usually unless I pulled.

I just received a barreled action from Shawn in 300 terminator (defiance anti-X, proof, t3 terminator brake) and I don't have my new xlr 4.0 yet so I decided to pull the xlr the 300 Norma sits in and borrow it to start load development and same exact thing. 5 shots in, muzzle break could be removed by fingers, action bolts came loose, bipod bolts came loose, and bubble level shifted forward half an inch.

Would bedding this stock and my new 4.0 solve this issue?

What sort of torque driver are you using? And you absolutely cannot discuss the XLR action and the muzzle break in the same thread. As if the action some how loosens the brake? Give me a brake........

Me'thinks you have some need for following instructions regarding torque and perhaps also thread lock.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Sounds to me someone 🤔 has been monkeying with things that shouldn't have. No way will things loosen up like that otherwise (x 2). Buy a couple good torque wrenches and read up on required torque settings.

Hey for the folks that are saying "No way, You shouldn't be monkeying with things…etc" maybe you don't have first hand experience. I do and the exact thing happened to me on a brand new built 300 NMI on an XLR 4.0 chassis from another very reputable builder.

During break in and load development I noticed the groups opening up . I couldn't figure it out until I happened to take a hold of the chassis forearm and barrel and noticed excessive movement. That is when I realized the action bolts had come loose. I called the gun builder and told him what happened and he said that does occur with a chassis initially and just to retorque. I did and also retorque ever other mechanical attachment on the chassis since ALL had come loose. Also, XLR told me NOT to use thread locker on the action bolts. By the way, the self timing brake was…you guessed it loose too.

Go figure. The OP has a legitimate complaint.

Hmm makes me wonder if the action is so stiff that it easily transmits the recoil shock all throughout the stock. Maybe some green thread locker would help cushion that shock. Not on the action screws but all other screws.

Hey for the folks that are saying "No way, You shouldn't be monkeying with things…etc" maybe you don't have first hand experience. I do and the exact thing happened to me on a brand new built 300 NMI on an XLR 4.0 chassis from another very reputable builder.

During break in and load development I noticed the groups opening up . I couldn't figure it out until I happened to take a hold of the chassis forearm and barrel and noticed excessive movement. That is when I realized the action bolts had come loose. I called the gun builder and told him what happened and he said that does occur with a chassis initially and just to retorque. I did and also retorque ever other mechanical attachment on the chassis since ALL had come loose. Also, XLR told me NOT to use thread locker on the action bolts. By the way, the self timing brake was…you guessed it loose too.

Go figure. The OP has a legitimate complaint.
Well I guess I will stand corrected. I haven't heard of this happening (everything coming loose) let alone twice after installing another action. Just like anything else, proper torque is still a factor as well as rechecking. I can see things loosening up, but not after 5 shots. Maybe I should have finished my first cup of coffee this morning first.

@Thatonekid, I apologize if I came off rude and you have a legit issue. I just found it hard to believe the whole thing has loosened up twice on you after retorquing. Rick's experience seconds it and I guess I know of two now.

Interesting. I am just about to get my 30 nosler going, it's build on an XLR 4.0 mg with a Bat Vampire action, wonder if the flat bottom design and aluminum action will change anything? It will be running supressed. I will watch for this and report.

Anyone else have this happen? First I have heard of it

I found this.

@Rick Richard, did you end up using loc-tite? Has yours been holding now? The OP also has more then action screw issues.

I found this.

@Rick Richard, did you end up using loc-tite? Has yours been holding now? The OP also has more then action screw issues.
No loc-tite and after the initial issue and retorque of the action screws It never loosened up again. However, I would check it after every range session to verify, and kept a set of hex wrenches with me to readjust the other fasteners on the stock.

Rick, did XLR give any reason as to not use loc-tite on the action screws? That seems more like something the action company would be concerned with?
No they did not and I did not push for a reason at the time. They just asked me if I had the washer installed on the action screw and I believe that is just the front one. By the way, I still believe it is a great product. You just have to be aware of checking things every once and awhile.

There is at least one component that is adding to the "loosening" of take down screws in my theory.
Slickness of smooth anodized aluminum chassis against the slickness of fine surface finishes of the receiver. The friction on receiver and chassis when clamped down with torqued takedown screws is diminished greatly.
If the recoil lug is not fitting tightly in the mortise, and the receiver is moving, that would tend to "yield" those 2 takedown screws at some point during firing. After all, they need re-torquing, so those screws aren't rotating loose, they are getting "yielded". If one has to continually re-torque after shooting sessions, those screws cannot do the job by themselves.

Has anyone bedded the recoil lug/ mortise?

Recent Posts