XLR Element vs MDT Hnt26?

I have a few MDT and some XLR chasiss. I like the XLR's a little better but really once you're in a chassis, they're all about the same if you stay in the same price class for the comparison. The folding adapter from XLR is superior.

I have the XLR Gen3, it was my first foray into a chassis system. Built it as a folder with a carbon buttstock and handle. I enjoy hunting with it for Spring bear and late summer hunts, but once temps cool I wont use it as the metal is just way too cold. I've also found I don't hunt with it folded. I typically use the gun bearer now, so it's never strapped to the pack during a hunt. I primarily only fold it when I'm hiking in for target practice. The chassis changed the balance of my rifle to slightly front heavy. I'd prefer a smaller magazine release for hunting with. I still like the XLR enough that I'm keeping it, but if I was buying today, I'd probably go with the MDT.

If weight trumps having the folding option, then I'd also look seriously at the Defensive Edge MPH chassis.

Last edited:
Interst
I have the XLR Gen3, it was my first foray into a chassis system. Built it as a folder with a carbon buttstock and handle. I enjoy hunting with it for Spring bear and late summer hunts, but once temps cool I wont use it as the metal is just way too cold. I've also found I don't hunt with it folded. I typically use the gun bearer now, so it's never strapped to the pack during a hunt. I primarily only fold it when I'm hiking in for target practice. The chassis changed the balance of my rifle to slightly front heavy. I'd prefer a smaller magazine release for hunting with. I still like the XLR enough that I'm keeping it, but if I was buying today, I'd probably go with the MDT.

If weight trumps having the folding option, then I'd also look seriously at the Defensive Edge MPH chassi
Interesting option. Weight and compact both important to me sheep hunting. The pack up and down through alders sucks with a long rifle. Also I strap it tight to my pack when navigating steep sketchy cliffs, slides etc.

Interst

Interesting option. Weight and compact both important to me sheep hunting. The pack up and down through alders sucks with a long rifle. Also I strap it tight to my pack when navigating steep sketchy cliffs, slides etc.
My prc is 8 lbs 14 ounces with a suppressor. 8lbs 3 ounces without the can. Pretty good for a non titanium action. The way I pack my rifle I love the folder for making it compact and stowed away. Pull it out the pack and with qd sling mounts I can front carry for hands free and yet super fast shouldering.

Interst

That was exactly why I wanted the folder, but since building the chassis rifle, I seem to always solo hunt. With the rifle as my only protection, I won't put it on my back. During my sheep hunt this year I navigated some cliffs where I was using my ice axe for handholds and even then the gun bearer was fine. Wasn't perfect, but not a hinderance. With a 22" barrel and muzzle brake it sits level with the top of my head and is easier to control in Alders then my folder was on my back. Even with it folded it sat just above the top of my head and as I ducked thru the alder it would stay high and get caught. I tried a few different options for dropping it low or enclosed in a lid, but I was never able to find a method thay I loved. As a result I switched back to the gunbearer.

That was exactly why I wanted the folder, but since building the chassis rifle, I seem to always solo hunt. With the rifle as my only protection, I won't put it on my back. During my sheep hunt this year I navigated some cliffs where I was using my ice axe for handholds and even then the gun bearer was fine. Wasn't perfect, but not a hinderance. With a 22" barrel and muzzle brake it sits level with the top of my head and is easier to control in Alders then my folder was on my back. Even with it folded it sat just above the top of my head and as I ducked thru the alder it would stay high and get caught. I tried a few different options for dropping it low or enclosed in a lid, but I was never able to find a method thay I loved. As a result I switched back to the gunbearer.
I will look at the gun bearer- I do solo a lot. This years sheep hunt I had a grizz run in front of me at 10 yds- I couldn't get my rifle off the pack fast enough, thought it would maul me but past by. My buddy with the pistol was 30 yards down a rock slide when the bear ram in between us.

Learned my lesson not be without protection at hand!

This thread is a little old but what about the MPA ultra light folding chassis? I don't know anything about it. I saw it at the western hunting and conservation expo this weekend and thought it looked really nice. One thing specifically was the butt stock folded over the bolt making it thinner and more steam lined

This thread is a little old but what about the MPA ultra light folding chassis? I don't know anything about it. I saw it at the western hunting and conservation expo this weekend and thought it looked really nice. One thing specifically was the butt stock folded over the bolt making it thinner and more steam lined
It's heavier than the mdt and xlr.

I do believe the xlr is quite a bit cheaper then the hunt 26 comparably set up. Seems to me the xlr is 1250 with folder, thumb rest, qd mount. Mdt is 1600. I also think the xlr is lighter with the folder. Mdt folder is heavy and beefy. I usually machine out material on the Mdt

I just ordered an MPA Ultra Lite for my 20"
308. Hunt 26 looked really nice but the price was up there and the XLR was quite a few weeks out. MPA was in stock. Should be here Wed. Looking forward to trying it out. I've had the MPA BA Chadian before and really liked it.