Xbolt max

Here you go. Just now screen shot from Browning's X-Bolt Max Long Range specs page for their 7mm Rem Mag. (Note the Item Number, UPC and Twist Rate)View attachment 185423

Wow, I thought for sure this had to be wrong so I went to Browning's website as I thought since Browning had gone to faster twists in some of their hells canyon models surely they would have gone to a faster twist rate for the 7mm Rem Mag in a long range model. But sure enough, it's a 9.5 twist? What are the brainchilds thinking at Browning? Their engineers must still be living in the 1950's. That said, I have a browning Hells canyon 28 Nosler, 9 twist and I know they have gone to a 8 twist in some calibers so they are coming along but to me it's just wrong to give a high end so called long range rifle a handicapped twist rate.

Wow, I thought for sure this had to be wrong so I went to Browning's website as I thought since Browning had gone to faster twists in some of their hells canyon models surely they would have gone to a faster twist rate for the 7mm Rem Mag in a long range model. But sure enough, it's a 9.5 twist? What are the brainchilds thinking at Browning? Their engineers must still be living in the 1950's. That said, I have a browning Hells canyon 28 Nosler, 9 twist and I know they have gone to a 8 twist in some calibers so they are coming along but to me it's just wrong to give a high end so called long range rifle a handicapped twist rate.
Many built after 2018 have more current twist rates, browning does need to update the common specs page that says the twists and clean up the confusion, Because in other places it says the 7RM is now an 8 twist among others that have been updated. Post #87 includes a screen shot of this.

I have the xbolt max long range in 6.5 PRC. Only have about 100 rounds through it, two trips to the range. My experience thus far is that it shoots well cold, but does not like to shoot well when warm. Firing at a rate of about 1 shot per minute, I get maybe 12 accurate shots: 4-shot groups around 0.6 moa at 100yd with factory eldx. After that as it warms up, groups seem to open up to 1, even 1.5 moa. I will say that the barrel sped up a lot after break in! Factory eldx was originally shooting 2953fps, and after 80 rounds it's doing 3040fps!! Also, try shooting with and without the thread protector/muzzle break. I dont care for the way the protector appears to add a second crown to the end of the barrel...
Dont have any more data yet, all the ranges i would go to are shut down....

A few months ago when I ordered it, I was also considering the 7mm rem mag chambering. I called Browning to inquire about the twist rate since their site showed the slower twist compared to most of the max long range lineup. Apparently it is indeed the slower rate in 7mm RM, the rep said they weren't achieving desired accuracy with the fast twist in 7mm RM, thus that chambering has the slower rate.

Thanks Ga6570. Initially I thought it had to be wrong also which is why I went to the browning home page. I hope Browning got it wrong on the home page and they probably did but I do know some of their lower priced models still use the 9.5 twist in the 7mm mag so it is still a question mark for me for that particular model and caliber.

If he does have an actual twist rate of 1:9.5, I'd try the 168 Berger Classic Hunter, or the 162 Eld, if either of those doesn't shoot, send it back to Browning. Way too early to pass judgement on a rifle after only trying one bullet.

Had trouble with my sons xbolt with 175 ELDXs, but 168 vlds, 160 accubonds, and 162 eldx all with retumbo shoot sub moa.

I have had very good luck with Browning A bolt II long range, x bolt, ab3, all shoot at worst .5 moa, load development took time, but all got where I was pleased. I have been strongly considering a X-bolt max long range in 6.5 prc. some of the post have put some doubt in my mind. I don't want to cry after I buy. have done trigger work on all of them, that really helped. any feedback on this would help. Thanks

Op what say you , lots of great people trying to help , throw us some info thks ,pro browning ,cheers.
It is the 1-8 twist, I ordered some 180 and 168 Berger's for it. I've shot federal premium, Hornady precision hunters and HSM through it with no better than 1.5 inch groups. Torqued the action down to 35in lbs, checked my bases an tings all is good there. Haven't found a way to check the crown yet though.

I have had very good luck with Browning A bolt II long range, x bolt, ab3, all shoot at worst .5 moa, load development took time, but all got where I was pleased. I have been strongly considering a X-bolt max long range in 6.5 prc. some of the post have put some doubt in my mind. I don't want to cry after I buy. have done trigger work on all of them, that really helped. any feedback on this would help. Thanks
That's what frustrated me ! Other Browning owners praised their rifles . Main point ! I wish I took into consideration before I bought my Max Long range in 6.5 PRC is they offer no accuracy guarantee . I had my gunsmith go thru the rifle,he said the factory bedding popped out with a tap of his screw driver. Rifle has a sexy look to it,very nice slick short throw bolt action . But that's where it stops.With 7" twist BBL I tried the Sierra 150gr bullets ,various seating depths I was getting 2 1/2-4" MOA ,it was horrible. Anyhow with new bedding job and hornady 140 gr ELD I got a few 1 1/2 " groups and traded it in for a loss on a Bergara Premier and that rifle printed 1/2 MOA with both hand loads and factory ammo first trip to the range..... I'll never buy a Browning anything ever again .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.