Xbolt max

Wow, it's disappointing to hear some of the negative reviews on the X-Bolt. I guess they are not the tack-drivers the A-Bolts of yesteryear were. That said, I hope the OP can come up with a combination that works in his and I wish him the best of luck.

I've used the 175 ABLR in my 28 Nosler with good success on Elk. That was in a Christianson, not a X-Bolt, though.
I do have a X-Bolt in 6.5 CM I love...have put in a Timney trigger and a Boyd's At-One stock, those really helped the accuracy.
I also have a X-Bolt in 300 WM....a 2019 Shot Show special that I haven't had a chance to work with much...but it's "pretty"!

just try to tighen the screws on the stock for a tight fit... check if the barrel is touching anywhere in the barrel channel.. and shoot about 50 rounds of very mild loads to break in the barrel.

I think it's just this model. I have a LR stalker in 7mag that shoots great and had a 6.5 western hunter that also shot great.

With that said, spring or not the stock trigger is garbage unless you like a heavier pull. I prefer 1.75-2lbs and that was unattainable stock, and I could get it that low with the upgraded spring but the trigger was very inconsistent. Sometimes there would be creep, sometimes not. Ended up putting a timney in it.

It's sad because on paper this rifle seems great, but its a big miss on reviews.

I'm having a hard time getting my xbolt to shoot very good. Can't seem to get anything I've tried to shoot under an inch. What are some tips you fellas can give me, any advice is helpful! Powders, bullets, primers, reloading techniques. It all helps. View attachment 185145
is your scope touching the Barrel?? I had a large scope that I thought was clear, it was when it was cold but whenit got hot it would touch, couldn't hit anything close to the same hole. raised the scope and all problems went away

I'm having a hard time getting my xbolt to shoot very good. Can't seem to get anything I've tried to shoot under an inch. What are some tips you fellas can give me, any advice is helpful! Powders, bullets, primers, reloading techniques. It all helps. View attachment 185145
Your 7mm may be like others and doesn't like that particular weight bullet, kinda like most 338 WM don't like 210 weight bullets. They will shoot them but not with extreme accuracy. Drop down to an available weight and see if it doesn't help, of course you will have to start your recipe trials all over again. I have loaded 7mm with Hodgen HybridV around 60 gr. with good results. You will give up a little B.C. but you might make it up in accuracy. You also might try changing primers, I like to use CCI but as of late Federals are shooting more accurate in the new powders for me. Federal and Winchester always have shot better in Alliant powders for me, I don't really have a good explanation for this. Happy trails and good shooting.

Chiming in from Utah... right down the road from Browning HQ. I am a lifelong Browning owner and collector. (Member of the Browning Collectors Association). I have Browning BBR, BAR, and A-bolts. I have killed more deer and elk with my Browning A-bolt II 30.06 with a Nikon Monarch scope than any other rifle I own. With that being said.... I bought a Browning A-bolt II Long Range Hunter in 300 WM. 26" barrel, 1:10 twist. I put a Leupold VX-6 HD scope on it. I fought that miserable bugger for 2 years and it would not group very well. I took it into Browning and had them look at it. It was suggested to glass bed it and install pillars. $400 later it still did not shoot any better. I hired a local gun company that builds custom long range rifles and does custom ammo loads that guaranteed they could make it shoot. 4 months later they returned my rifle and didn't charge me because they couldn't get it to shoot. Their opinion, as was mine, it would shoot ok but would never produce tight groups. I sold the A-bolt and immediately bought an X-bolt Long Range Hunter in 300 WM. 26" barrel 1:8 twist. Put another Leupold VX-6 scope on it. It didn't shoot any better than the A-bolt did! I load my own ammo. I can't tell you the loads I have spent on the bench. I have tried numerous powders, numerous brands and weights of bullets, different primers, and played with searing depth. I have bought new Norma brass and new Hornady brass. I have reloaded Winchester, Remington and Federal brass. Nothing makes a real difference. I finally threw my hands in the air and yelled UNCLE and sold the X-bolt. 3 years down the tube and uncountable hours. I have never fought with rifles and load development as much as those 2 rifles. As a side note... others in my family are as Browning loyal as I am. We bought 5 of the X-bolt long range rifles and 1 one Hell's Canyon. 4 of us have now given up and sold the rifles.
I also own a Remington Sendero in 300 WM. 26" barrel 1:10 twist. It is an absolute shooter. I can consistently shoot .30 groups with it. I have an old Leupold VX-III Long Range scope on it. Absolutely no trouble reloading accurate ammo for that rifle.
What I learned in the past three years with the Browning.... Browning rifles do not like heavy bullets! Best groups in both rifles came from lighter bullets. 168 GR. worked well.
Browning's shoot best with a tangent ojive bullet. It's just how they chamber the barrel. So the hornady eld x or the nosler bullets would more than likely be your best bet.
All the Browning's I've done load development for love the Hornady.
I have absolutely given up on Browning for long range rifles. I have shot several other factory long range rifles that will put shoot and outperform the Browning rifles.

As others have said try some other bullets. I ve seen guys have a lot of trouble with the LRAB s ...try a couple bullets known to be easy to tune. Ballistic Tip in Nosler, Sierra GK or Pro Hunter.

My guess is you ll see immediate results. Stick with applicable powders in the slower burn rates. Might use a Nosler accuracy or Sierra accuracy recommendation from their reloading manuals. Keep us posted.

ditch the X bolt and get an A bolt 2 not 3 with the B.O.S.S. and drop a 20 dollar timney spring in the trigger and you won't look back!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.