Xbolt max

Maybe drop down a weight or change brands then?
I'm pretty stubborn, so if there is a bullet I want to shoot, I will spend (or waste) a lot of time and resources doing everything I can to make it work. If you're confident the 175 won't shoot in your rifle and aren't set on making that bullet work, may as well cut your losses. I have great luck with the 150 and 168 ABLR (and VLD) in 7-08 and 7WSM. Worth trying unless you have other bullets on the shelf to try already. Plenty of great 7mm hunting bullets for a 7 mag though and the options are endless.

I'm pretty stubborn, so if there is a bullet I want to shoot, I will spend (or waste) a lot of time and resources doing everything I can to make it work. If you're confident the 175 won't shoot in your rifle and aren't set on making that bullet work, may as well cut your losses. I have great luck with the 150 and 168 ABLR in 7-08 and 7WSM. Worth trying unless you have other bullets on the shelf to try already.
I was gonna try the 150ablr in my 7-08 down the road. I'm not dead set on the 175s though.

I tried the ABLRs in two different calibers and couldn't get them to shoot. I tried seating them near and far off the rifling and still couldnt get them to group. I am not one to waste a lot of time and resources on bullets that are super finicky when there are other bullets that I trust and will tune very easy.

Give Mcarbo, out of Florida a call or check out video on putting a new trigger spring in. I put their spring in my HCLR 300 win and made huge difference in accuracy for less than $20 shipped. I can shoot eld x 212gr with RL26 and stack 3 shot easily under and inch. 75gr of rl26 3000 fps. Worth looking into.

Give Mcarbo, out of Florida a call or check out video on putting a new trigger spring in. I put their spring in my HCLR 300 win and made huge difference in accuracy for less than $20 shipped. I can shoot eld x 212gr with RL26 and stack 3 shot easily under and inch. 75gr of rl26 3000 fps. Worth looking into.
I've got the spring ordered. I put one in my 7-08 an it made a difference.

I don't mean to laugh, because it's not funny at all. But I've yet to see or hear of one of these shooting worth a hoot. I had one in .300 mag. "Iron worker" on here had one as well. I spent over $600 on components trying every combo I had access to. 4 or 5 different bullets close to 10 different powders. Browning accepts 1.5 MOA from this model and they were on about a 3-4 month turn around to "look" at it. But they made it clear to me that if they were able to get a 1.5 moa group out of it, it was within their specs. I ended up having mine rebarreled ($900) and it shot better. BUT I will say that the stock may seem like a neat one, but it IMO is in fact junk also. If it NOT stiff enough for bipod work. Even with the mcarbo spring installed, if you watch closely (hard to explain, without sounding like my form is garbage) you can actually see the stock flexing enough to make the cross hairs slowly drift down on the target... this may not be the case on I'll of them, but it was on mine. The Max LR was about a $2700 mistake I wish I would have never made. But, I'm glad it happened , makes me never buy another rifle that I cant work on myself. This is just how I feel about the rifles. I know some people love them, but I HATE them. I'll NEVER buy another browning again.

Hopefully you can get yours straightened out.

Berger 180 Hybrids would be my first choice with that gun. Start them at .020 off. I'm assuming you've triple checked the mounts, and are using a known good scope.

The best luck I have had with them was .4 off the lands in one rifle and .7 off in another. 210s in a 30 cal and 175s in a 7.

I really like the ABLR a lot. They do some serious expanding at low velocity

I'm having a hard time getting my xbolt to shoot very good. Can't seem to get anything I've tried to shoot under an inch. What are some tips you fellas can give me, any advice is helpful! Powders, bullets, primers, reloading techniques. It all helps. View attachment 185145
I have 2 7mm LRMs I load for. I never could get the 175 ABLR to shoot to my satisfaction. Not saying everyone will have the same experience but my experience seems to mirror what you are seeing. My LRMs love the 180 Berger VLDs and the Berger 195 EOLs. The ELDMs also shot very good in them as well. I primarily shoot H1000, IMR7977, and IMR8133 in these 2 rifles. So, my advice is try a different bullet. Of course check all the typical stuff, stock fit to barrel, scope mounts, torque on actions screws etc., also have another trusted shooter try the rifle with a load of known performance. Just some things that should eliminate most gotchas.

I have 2 7mm LRMs I load for. I never could get the 175 ABLR to shoot to my satisfaction. Not saying everyone will have the same experience but my experience seems to mirror what you are seeing. My LRMs love the 180 Berger VLDs and the Berger 195 EOLs. The ELDMs also shot very good in them as well. I primarily shoot H1000, IMR7977, and IMR8133 in these 2 rifles. So, my advice is try a different bullet. Of course check all the typical stuff, stock fit to barrel, scope mounts, torque on actions screws etc., also have another trusted shooter try the rifle with a load of known performance. Just some things that should eliminate most gotchas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ill ad onto this. 1:8 twist. Go 180 or even the heavier Berger. Had good success with rl 26 with 180 gr and better bullets

h4831Sc in 160-175 gr been a good load

finally. My experience has been some guns are shooters and few aren't.

I have a couple .280 X-bolts that love the standard accubonds and 7828... and they aren't sensitive to seating depth in those guns. Both 140s and 160s shoot pretty well, about the same groups. You might give them a try. Five shot groups with first loads I tried of the 160s in each rifle.
I was going to try the ABLRs but have read too many instances where rifles didn't agree with them.

Attachments

• Xbolt 160 accubond accuracy pic.jpg
    Xbolt 160 accubond accuracy pic.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200222_134906.jpg
    20200222_134906.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 111
Can't get yours to shoot ! My X bolt Max long range in 6.5 PRC could easily put 5 shots into a 5" MOA at 50 yds ! Seriously 2 1/2-4" MOA at 100yds was average . I never have owned a rifle that shot so poorly . Problem is the thin crappy bbl and the nice looking Tupperware stock and terrible trigger. I had a gunsmith go thru it,we changed the trigger spring which helped very little ,re-bed the rifle . Was able to turn it into a short range deer rifle. So I traded it(Took a bath) for a Bergara Premier series rifle. That rifle shot 1/2" MOA first time at the 100yds line. I'll never buy a Browning anything ever again .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.