X-Bolt vs A-Bolt II

Moman

Do any of you guys have opions on if the new Browning X-Bolt is better than the A-Bolt II? My son has an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 270 WSM and wants to get another in a 300 WSM. We can still find a 300 WSM Stainless Stalker, which would have the same stock profile as his 270, but not sure if he would be missing out on something by not going to the X-Bolt. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I can tell the new x-bolt hunter is just a few onces heavier than the x-bolt stainless stalker. This could be a good thing.
The 300 wsm stainless stalker has a reputation for getting meat on both ends.
Still, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Just don't forget the Limbsaver butt pad. :D

I don't have any experience with the x-bolt but love my two a-bolt II's and my a-bolt.

It appears they are very similiar the biggest differences seems to be a standard detachable magazine in the x-bolt versus the unique floorplate detachable magazine in the a-bolts. Also the x-bolt has a newer recoil pad, different triger, stock and is bedded. Handle them side by side and choose which one feels better,...I agree with getting the sims limbsaver pad, have them on my 30-06 and 300wsm composite stalkers and they are huge improvement. Don't think you will see much difference between them thought.

TRhis might be a little late, but Having had a A bolt and now an X bolt I like the x bolt rifle a lot better. The trigger is the best improvement to me. The recoil pad is a lot better Than the old one, I like the drop out clip. The only thing I liked about my A bolt was the boss. I didnt get the gun to the range yet, but having fired it are the yard it handles nice and just been bore sighter everthing within 80 yrds i aimed at has a hole in it. I have the Browing carbon fiber finish with fluted barrel at 6lbs 6oz 300 wsm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.