X-Bolt trigger spring

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by RustyRick, Apr 7, 2015.

1. RustyRick

RustyRick Well-Known Member

I hear a rumor that there is a spring fix to lighten up the stock triggers for the XZ-Bolt action.

Can someone enlighten me as to HOW? and WHERE available? Thanks

2. 8ptrbetter

8ptrbetter New Member

I have heard of such but have not had any luck finding one or the specs for the factory spring. Some folks have talked about cutting and stretching the original, but I'm not about to attempt a trial and error type of fix without a backup spring.
    Have you heard from anyone else or had any luck coming up with a fix? I talked to the folks at Timney Triggers and they said the xbolt replacement is on the design table now and may be ready later this year! I just can't believe the new and improved Browning "feather" trigger is not adjustable to a reasonable level. The lowest I can get mine is just under four pounds and feels like I'm trying to lift the truck with one finger compared to the 1.5 lb Abolt I have.

Good Luck and let me know if you find anything.

3. dgarrett

dgarrett Well-Known Member

I have found no where that carries them anymore... Ernie the gunsmith used to carry them but quit when to many customers took their triggers apart and couldn't get them back together and wouldn't stop calling him... I cut the spring on one a few weeks ago... Still not a great trigger but way better then factory.. I took the spring down about 6 different times to get it where it is now... Somewhere around 3-3.5lbs... These triggers seemed to be very cheaply made... Hopefully Timney will make a full replacement... Dave

4. Punisher

Punisher Well-Known Member

Measure the diameter of the spring, buy a similar sized spring for another rifle, insert, test vigorously.

5. 8ptrbetter

8ptrbetter New Member

Well may have had a stroke of luck. Decided to order replacement spring from Browning to do trial and error cutting/resizing. Went by local gun shop and his gunsmith (they sub out their gunsmithing) came in. Talked to him about the problem and found out he has done a couple of trigger jobs on Xbolts. Supposed to take rifle and go see him tomorrow. Will post the results of this meeting after we see what comes of it.

6. waspocrew

waspocrew Well-Known Member

Jard makes a replacement trigger for the x bolt - it's spendy though.

7. 8ptrbetter

8ptrbetter New Member

Well, I left my Browning Xbolt with the local gunsmith to do the trigger job. I checked on the price of the Jard trigger. My trigger job cost $45. Got it back last night. Trigger is just as crisp as before but now only 2lb 2oz at break. Gunsmith says he just tried several springs and found one close then made only slight modification to it. Didn't say exactly what the modification was but for $200 less than the Jard trigger, I don't care. It is set with adjustment screw about half travel, so there is still adjustment travel up and down on weight of pull. Couldn't be happier. Now I love this "shooting machine"!

8. RustyRick

RustyRick Well-Known Member

WOW you make my day. Maybe there hope. Thanks for the follow up!!!

9. Brad615

Brad615 Well-Known Member

I realize this OP is 2 yrs old but I'm hoping some new info out there you can share?
    Anyone know of any new springs & where to get them to lower the 3-3.5 lb trigger on the xbolt? Any gunsmiths that can help me?
    Thanks, Brad

10. 18whlsrolin

18whlsrolin Member

I know the thread is old and it's almost been a year since you asked but M-Carbo makes a replacement spring for $12 that has great reviews. I just ordered one, instructions and install video seem straight forward

waspocrew likes this.
  11. martinakl

martinakl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

12. waspocrew

waspocrew Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to pick one up for my 223.

13. Elkhunter1983

Elkhunter1983 Well-Known Member

Im wondering how the Timney Drop in is doing for the x bolt, or if anyone has received one yet.

14. martinakl

martinakl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

18whlsrolin likes this.