X-Bolt Stainless Stalker

KoolBreeze

The X-bolt Stainless Stalker seems to have disappeared from Browning's website. The website was recently revamped and I don't see it listed in any of the 3 categories (In-line, Limited, or Discontinued). Anyone know if it has been discontinued? I was strongly considering picking one up this summer in 300wsm but if it has been discontinued I might better go grab one now.

I am guessing that it is a problem with there page as they show its picture above the button for in-line models. I don't know why it doesn't show up anywhere else. I doubt they discontinued it though because it was one of the more popular models. I have one in 300wsm and it shoots great. I bought it for a light weight rifle to pack up in the mountains and I have not been disappointed in my purchase one bit. 1/2 moa groups with 180grn accubonds and 200 grain ELD-X at 100yds.

Maybe it's time they brought back the A-Bolt II, and dumped the X-Bolt. If they would bring back the A-Bolt II line with realistic modern twist rates, they would be HUGE sellers. Like going with a 9" twist for the 7mm calibers, 10" twist for the .30 cals, etc...

Sorry, not an X-Bolt fan, but have had 2 A-Bolt II's and they are great rifles.

I am guessing that it is a problem with there page as they show its picture above the button for in-line models. I don't know why it doesn't show up anywhere else. I doubt they discontinued it though because it was one of the more popular models. I have one in 300wsm and it shoots great. I bought it for a light weight rifle to pack up in the mountains and I have not been disappointed in my purchase one bit. 1/2 moa groups with 180grn accubonds and 200 grain ELD-X at 100yds.

Yeah, you are probably right about it being a mix up on the webpage. Every dealer that I've talked to about the stainless stalker has told me that it is their best selling xbolt.

Since you have the very rifle I'm considering, in your opinion, how bad is the recoil in such a light rifle? I'm looking for a do-all hunting rifle that I can take into the woods for close up shots or to a bean field where long range shots are there for the taking. When I say long range, I won't be taking any shots over 500 yards on game and only that after proving the package works at that range for me.

Almost all of my hunting is done out of stands, btw. So a light rifle is not a necessity. In fact I'd prefer it be in the 8.5 lb range when scoped but haven't been able to find anything I like that heavy.

I currently have a 300wsm in a BAR that really like. I just want a bolt action in the caliber. The BAR weighs around 9.5 lb and 20 rounds of 165gr down range is about all I can stand in a bench session. So I'm somewhat concerned that I won't like the recoil of the lighter stainless stalker, which will weigh a couple pounds less. It won't be a range gun, but I do plan to shoot it often to stay proficient with it. Not sure how much difference the better recoil pad on it will make though. The BAR just has the stock pad on it which is basically worthless in reducing recoil.

I'm really torn between it and the 270wsm, to be honest. But it's hard to get away from the 300wsm because of the success I've had with it the last few years. The 165gr partitions just knock them over instantly with a shoulder shot.

i have found the recoil to be bearable and think the recoil pad is well designed however I have only shot it 10 times per sitting. It definitely has more recoil than a heavier gun would. I am used to heavy magnums and am a fairly big guy (230lbs) so I may be numb to it as well. Have you looked into the long range hunter? It is about a pound heavier than the stainless stalker.

I agree Mudrunner, the A bolt 2 is a good rifle, in fact that is my favorite deer rifle in the 06. But Kool Breeze, the X bolt in any caliber is a fine rifle too. I have one in a 6.5 CM and you can shoot cloverleaf groups with shots touching all day with it.

i have found the recoil to be bearable and think the recoil pad is well designed however I have only shot it 10 times per sitting. It definitely has more recoil than a heavier gun would. I am used to heavy magnums and am a fairly big guy (230lbs) so I may be numb to it as well. Have you looked into the long range hunter? It is about a pound heavier than the stainless stalker.

I'm a big guy as well but I tend to flinch at the trigger press in anticipation of the recoil. So I'm somewhat concerned that more recoil will make it worse. It's just something I'm going to have to work on.

And yeah, I have looked at the long range version online. If not for the muzzle break I'd likely go that route. To tell the truth, the muzzle break would likely help with the flinch. But I just haven't been able to warm up to the idea of having one on a hunting rifle. Just not sure I want to deal with hearing protection in the woods and etc. I'm going to see if I can find one locally though to look at.

I have a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker, chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum. It shoots far better than I can. The greatest number of rounds I sent down-range in one session at the range was 20. I did that in Summer clothing. The recoil was harsh but manageable. Recent tests indicate that I do not flinch. YMMV.

Dear friends, whether you use a muzzle brake or not, please wear hearing protection both on the range and in the woods.

I could have made this post as I have the same gun and it gets the same results with the bullets mentioned. 4350 with the 180 ab and 4381 with the 200 eld.

It really is a great factory gun. The Tupperware is a bit flimsy but fits great. I have a laminated eclipse stock for it but not sure I want to take the plastic unit off its so handy.

I have the X Bolt Stainless hunter in 25-06, my brother and step dad have the Stainless stalker in 25-06 and 338 WM. I've shot both and they all shoot great with the factory loads they run in them. The 338 is a little stout, but not as bad as I was expecting. I could run a box of shells through it in one sitting before it became a little too obnoxious.

A 270 WSM or 300 WSM would be an excellent round and I don't think the recoil would be too bad.

I have the SS Stalker in 30-06. It does kick but the recoil pad is excellent. Very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.