X Bolt Max long range has been fixed !

Iron Worker

Spoke to soon rifle had a few problems ,gunsmith re-bedding it turned it in from a awful shooting rifle to a deer rifle accuracy . Its history now I have a Bergara Premier Ridgeback ,truly a beautiful piece of engineering .Soon as I get my Leupold MK4 scope rail I'll post reports.

Last edited:
Spoke to soon ! Found a second reason rifle shot so poorly. The detachable magazine wouldn't latch in the stock if the action screws were snug ,so upon loosening them slightly it stayed in which is total BS !!! Anyhow I traded it in on a Bergara Premier Ridgeback in 6.5 PRC,now this rifle is a beautiful piece of engineering. Why did i buy the X Bolt ? It looks great and was $650 bucks cheaper . My bad ya get what ya pay for.

My local gunsmith said "When he tapped the factory bedding with a screwdriver it popped right out,plus contact with recoil lug was wrong. So he used acra glass ,but before applying it he drilled holes in multiple converging spots and forced bedding compound into into those holes to make sure it bonds to stock. So I shot it with same load as before 59.5grs of Re#25 behind Hornady 140gr ELD seated to book recommendation ADG brass and group just under a quarter at 100yds in field conditions. So now I have something to work with !
Glad you posted this cause I usually do my own bedding but never done it on the xbolts ive owned. But Ive always thought a more thourough bedding might help one especially in a heavy recoiling cartridge.

Glad you posted this cause I usually do my own bedding but never done it on the xbolts ive owned. But Ive always thought a more thourough bedding might help one especially in a heavy recoiling cartridge.
I found other problems with rifle,its history. I'm happy other browning owners are happy with their rifles,mine was a lemon

I found other problems with rifle,its history. I'm happy other browning owners are happy with their rifles,mine was a lemon
Well, I only have one xbolt left out of three, and there's reasons that two are gone. Actually thinking about rebarreling one but I just don't know if it's worth it. I wish I could hear from someone who has actually rebarreld an xbolt and easily achieved 1/2 moa or better, which I have done with rebarred savages & 700s.

I guess I got lucky. My two .280 X-Bolts were sub 1/2" out of the box with the first handloads I tried. Not just an occasional sub half inch group... but all the time. I bedded them both and added the Mcarbo spring in them just to say I did it. My 300 wsm X-Bolt was a real shooter too but had a beautiful wood stock that I found I was guarding all too much. lol. The factory bedding leaves something to be desired, but worked.

Well, I only have one xbolt left out of three, and there's reasons that two are gone. Actually thinking about rebarreling one but I just don't know if it's worth it. I wish I could hear from someone who has actually rebarreld an xbolt and easily achieved 1/2 moa or better, which I have done with rebarred savages & 700s.
There is another guy on this forum that had same rifle ,but in 28 nosler,his shot really bad. He re-barreled his with a Bartlein same contour and said it's now a 3/4 MOA rifle. But mine had other issues ,and it was either pay for new bbl and other work ,or take a loss and buy a Bergara Premier Ridgeback ,so i traded it in( Gunsmith that rebedded it,turned it into a deer accurate rifle) for a Bergara . (Why didn't I buy that in the first place,because the X Bolt looks cool and is $700 bucks cheaper) anyhow the Bergara is a beautiful piece of engineering along with a sub MOA guarantee.

There is another guy on this forum that had same rifle ,but in 28 nosler,his shot really bad. He re-barreled his with a Bartlein same contour and said it's now a 3/4 MOA rifle. But mine had other issues ,and it was either pay for new bbl and other work ,or take a loss and buy a Bergara Premier Ridgeback ,so i traded it in( Gunsmith that rebedded it,turned it into a deer accurate rifle) for a Bergara . (Why didn't I buy that in the first place,because the X Bolt looks cool and is $700 bucks cheaper) anyhow the Bergara is a beautiful piece of engineering along with a sub MOA guarantee.
I think the really thin barrels on some of them may be cause of some of the hit and miss accuracy issues from rifle to rifle. I also suspected that the firing pin struck with greater force from time to time. IDK .Got tired of messing around with those two.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.