X-bolt eclipse hunter 25-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Highway Man

Looking for a new rifle and am leaning to one of the calibers in subject line. Primary use will be deer and antelope. Can't seem to locate either in the eclipse hunter on line or in local shops. Any recommendations on locating one or strong feelings one way or other on caliber. I do not currently hand load.
Thanks

I own and have shot both for several years. Get the Creedmoor. Incredible selection of match grade and long-range hunting ammo for it. The 25-06 is a great one but is becoming somewhat obsoleted by cartridges like the Creedmoor. The Creed can do better in a short action than the 25-06 can in a long action. As always a couple exceptions to that rule, but very few indeed.

I own and have shot both for several years. Get the Creedmoor. Incredible selection of match grade and long-range hunting ammo for it. The 25-06 is a great one but is becoming somewhat obsoleted by cartridges like the Creedmoor. The Creed can do better in a short action than the 25-06 can in a long action. As always a couple exceptions to that rule, but very few indeed.
I'd probably get the 25-06. Yes it's dated but they just reinvented the wheel with the 6.5 creedmore. The .257 bullet selection has never been great but The 260 is an older superior cartridge to the 6.5 creedmore. The creedmore is just a fad yet. I'm just waiting on the 7mm creedmore which will be a slightly slower version of the 7mm08. We will see if the creedmore stands the test of time like the 25-06.

I guess it depends on the ranges you plan to hunt and the type of bullet you would like to shoot. I'm a huge 25-06 fan, but the whitetail that have met mine have not been. But with a factory tube that has 1:10T rate, you aren't going to find a single bullet that comes anywhere close, as far as BC is concerned, to what you can run in a 6.5CM 1:8T barrel. I guess be honest with yourself about what you are primarily going to use the rifle for and ideally what you would like it to do with it. Then run the numbers to find out what is going to meet your needs. If it's going to primarily be a 300-400 yard antelope or deer rifle, can't beat the 25-06 IMO. But if you want to primarily practice at ranges 600+ and occasionally shoot a critter with it, the 6.5CM might be the better way to go. Just the way I look at things like that. Two very different cartridges, imo, and I love my 25-06, it is one of those rifles I will never get rid of. Good luck, choosing between cartridges is a fun "problem" to have. Keep us posted.

Couldn't find the rifle you are looking for in either cartridge mentioned. Found 270 Win and 7mm-08, two other great choices that comparable to what you are looking for, just different cal. I like Browning and the eclipse is unique, u don't see many offerings like it. You could prob find a long or short action Savage, a Boyd's thumbhole stock, an aftermarket barrel, and a bedding job for not too much more. You could probably find just about any gun chambered for either cartridge, get a Boyd's laminate thumbhole stock, get the action bedded and barrel floated and be on your way.

I'd probably get the 25-06. Yes it's dated but they just reinvented the wheel with the 6.5 creedmore. The .257 bullet selection has never been great but The 260 is an older superior cartridge to the 6.5 creedmore. The creedmore is just a fad yet. I'm just waiting on the 7mm creedmore which will be a slightly slower version of the 7mm08. We will see if the creedmore stands the test of time like the 25-06.
People have been calling it a fad for 10 years since it came out. People said it wouldnt last. Yet here we are, 10 years later, and it's just gotten more and more popular. Everybody makes brass, ammo, and rifles for it unlike the 260 or 25-06, but the 260 seems to be gaining more traction.

Anyway, you dont hand load so that's pretty much a no brainer. There's so many more options in the creed than the 25-06. At a decent price I might add. Depending how far you plan to shoot will add to the equation and the 6.5 will out run the 25-06 in the long haul so that's something else to consider. Realisticly though at practical ranges they're both going to be fairly close. The 25-06 just uses more powder to accomplish the same thing.

People have been calling it a fad for 10 years since it came out. People said it wouldnt last. Yet here we are, 10 years later, and it's just gotten more and more popular. Everybody makes brass, ammo, and rifles for it unlike the 260 or 25-06, but the 260 seems to be gaining more traction.

Anyway, you dont hand load so that's pretty much a no brainer. There's so many more options in the creed than the 25-06. At a decent price I might add. Depending how far you plan to shoot will add to the equation and the 6.5 will out run the 25-06 in the long haul so that's something else to consider. Realisticly though at practical ranges they're both going to be fairly close. The 25-06 just uses more powder to accomplish the same thing.

40 years ago everyone was making guns and ammo in 25-06. The shooting sports are alot more popular these days and the creedmore came along at a good time. I will never understand the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore when the 260 Remington was already in production for many years. Especially when the 260 is a superior cartridge. Don't get me wrong, I've never owned a 260 rem. Or a 6.5 creedmore. So I don't have a dog in the fight. It just has me befuddled. The 30-06 was introduced almost 120 years ago, so the creedmore's meager 10 years don't impress me....as of yet

40 years ago everyone was making guns and ammo in 25-06. The shooting sports are alot more popular these days and the creedmore came along at a good time. I will never understand the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore when the 260 Remington was already in production for many years. Especially when the 260 is a superior cartridge. Don't get me wrong, I've never owned a 260 rem. Or a 6.5 creedmore. So I don't have a dog in the fight. It just has me befuddled. The 30-06 was introduced almost 120 years ago, so the creedmore's meager 10 years don't impress me....as of yet
The reason most people prefer the creedmoor over the 260 is it fits better in the short action than the 260 does. Other than that it's a wash between the 2. I dont disagree with what you trying to say. I'm just saying that it's not a fad and here to stay. Especially with the SOCOM adopting it as a sniper cartridge.

Anyways that's besides the point of the thread. I'll stop derailing it now:)

25-06.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry shoots a Creedmoor. For good reason, I'm sure; but I like it when people say "oh, you don't see that everyday".
Exactly why I shoot Ackleys and like wildcats. When someone asks "what you shootin?" And you tell them what it is, and they say, "What's that??? Never heard of that before..." Then you get to teach someone something new, and knowledge helps to grow the sport.

The reason most people prefer the creedmoor over the 260 is it fits better in the short action than the 260 does. Other than that it's a wash between the 2. I dont disagree with what you trying to say. I'm just saying that it's not a fad and here to stay. Especially with the SOCOM adopting it as a sniper cartridge.

Are they also going to change Reg to manbuns, big beards, flannel ACU, wolverine boots, and Starbucks lattes? :cool:

Thanks for the comments. Good to see folks passionate about their choices. Most of my hunting will be well below "long range" but do travel to South Dakota every year and would like to have something for those opportunities. Also have a 243 and 7mag. I think either caliber will work. As one stated it's a fun problem to have. Any suggestions on rifle as I said having trouble locating the eclipse hunter. Thanks

No the creedmore fits better than one of my 300wsm rounds in a short action. lol anything can be adopted as a sniper cartridge, for good sakes the Canadians use a McMillan rifle in 50bmg as a sniper setup. I agree the 6.5 creedmore will be here in 40 years but so will the 44-40. I dunno what it's draw is. It can't outshoot a 6ppc to 200 yds and can't outshoot a 6dasher out to 1000 yds. It cant kill a deer any deader than a 308win.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.