X-bolt eclipse hunter 25-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor

The reason most people prefer the creedmoor over the 260 is it fits better in the short action than the 260 does. Other than that it's a wash between the 2. I dont disagree with what you trying to say. I'm just saying that it's not a fad and here to stay. Especially with the SOCOM adopting it as a sniper cartridge.

Anyways that's besides the point of the thread. I'll stop derailing it now:)
I hear people give that as a reason 6.5 creedmore is better than .260, but I load 143gr bullets in a couple .260 short action rifles and have no problems. I find it funny how the 6.5 creedmore has taken off when the .260 was already in use. Better marketing and timing (increased interest in long range shooting and hunting).

To the OP: I'd go 6.5 between those options.

I think the whole point of his post is to find out what people think of the 2 cartridges comparatively
But if he can't get the benefits of the 25-06 because he can't get ammo with certain bullets then what other people think does him no good. He said recommendations keeping in mind he doesn't hand load.

6.5 Creedmoor great ammo selection at good prices. A while back I had a Sendero style rifle built. It was a choice between 270 WIN or 6.5-284. I went with the 270 because it was an established cartridge with availability and selection of ammo. This year I started shooting Precision Rifle Series matches and got a 6.5 C. Been very happy with it and match ammo is reasonable (not back reloading yet). To date the calibers I have used are 30-06, 270 WIN, 7-08. Who nows why the 6.5C has beat out the 260?

I hear people give that as a reason 6.5 creedmore is better than .260, but I load 143gr bullets in a couple .260 short action rifles and have no problems. I find it funny how the 6.5 creedmore has taken off when the .260 was already in use. Better marketing and timing (increased interest in long range shooting and hunting).

To the OP: I'd go 6.5 between those options.

I disagree though... The 6.5 Creedmoor is what the 260 Remington could have been if Remington had actually spent half a second thinking about the cartridge and designing it for its intended use instead of just necking down a 308 case and calling it "good enough". It's not just better marketing. The Creedmoor case was designed from the ground up to efficiently shoot the most common bullet weights in a 6.5 and have them load from SAMMI spec magazines without the bullets eating into case capacity.

Its not that the 260 "doesnt work", its that there is a better way of doing things without as many compromises with the 6.5 Creedmoor. The advantages of the Creedmoor are not significant enough to run out and have all your 260's re-barreled, but there are enough that if you are investing in an entirely new rifle and starting from scratch, you would be foolish to go with the 260 with better options are available.

It's like people who sold their brand new cars during the gas crisis took on additional payments to get something that got at most 15% better mileage, that wasnt smart. But for a person buying their first car during that time period, it would make sense to buy the more modern more efficient alternative, all other things being equal. That's how I see the Creedmoor, and for the OP investing in a brand new rifle and planning to run factory ammo, it's really a no brainer.

Looking for a new rifle and am leaning to one of the calibers in subject line. Primary use will be deer and antelope. Can't seem to locate either in the eclipse hunter on line or in local shops. Any recommendations on locating one or strong feelings one way or other on caliber. I do not currently hand load.
Thanks
I have a sweet long range percission rifle for you to hunt with. Salvage 10 GSR in the 6.5 creedmoor. I just did a barrel break in and with the Winchester XP 125 grain bullets. My last 5 round shot group at 200 meters was 1 inch dead center of the bulls eye. I am now developing my own 2 loads with the Sierra 140 grain SBT Game king and the Sierra 142 grain HPBT for that long, long range.

But if he can't get the benefits of the 25-06 because he can't get ammo with certain bullets then what other people think does him no good. He said recommendations keeping in mind he doesn't hand load.

He is just wanting to use it as a deer and antelope gun. There are plenty of factory loads in the 25-06 that are capable of taking these critters at extended ranges. He said he doesn't currently handload. Hopefully he will in the future. If he does that will give an edge to the 25-06 in my opinion

I appreciate all the opinions. I'm not sure I'm any closer than I was but more to consider for sure. Always been intrigued by the quarter bores and have been hesitant to jump on the 6.5creed bandwagon. Not much input on the lack of availability of the eclipse hunter, I'm in NC and haven't seen one in any of our local shops. If I do go with the 6.5 will probably add a Christensen Arms Mesa into my options. Thanks again for the input.

I disagree though... The 6.5 Creedmoor is what the 260 Remington could have been if Remington had actually spent half a second thinking about the cartridge and designing it for its intended use instead of just necking down a 308 case and calling it "good enough". It's not just better marketing. The Creedmoor case was designed from the ground up to efficiently shoot the most common bullet weights in a 6.5 and have them load from SAMMI spec magazines without the bullets eating into case capacity.

Its not that the 260 "doesnt work", its that there is a better way of doing things without as many compromises with the 6.5 Creedmoor. The advantages of the Creedmoor are not significant enough to run out and have all your 260's re-barreled, but there are enough that if you are investing in an entirely new rifle and starting from scratch, you would be foolish to go with the 260 with better options are available.

It's like people who sold their brand new cars during the gas crisis took on additional payments to get something that got at most 15% better mileage, that wasnt smart. But for a person buying their first car during that time period, it would make sense to buy the more modern more efficient alternative, all other things being equal. That's how I see the Creedmoor, and for the OP investing in a brand new rifle and planning to run factory ammo, it's really a no brainer.

Thats because Hornady is managed by shooters and Remington is totally Corporate and now owned by a Finance Group. Remington is money and bottom line and Hornady is oh wow what can we do next that would be fun and improve on it.

6.5 Creedmoor great ammo selection at good prices. A while back I had a Sendero style rifle built. It was a choice between 270 WIN or 6.5-284. I went with the 270 because it was an established cartridge with availability and selection of ammo. This year I started shooting Precision Rifle Series matches and got a 6.5 C. Been very happy with it and match ammo is reasonable (not back reloading yet). To date the calibers I have used are 30-06, 270 WIN, 7-08. Who nows why the 6.5C has beat out the 260?
Actually most of us KNOW why... Remington screwed over their own cartridge almost 10 years prior to the 6.5CM being developed. Remington was WAY ahead of their time (at the time), and then nearly killed-off the .260 Rem because at the time, the popularity was with the WSM, WSSM, and SAUM cartridges, not short-action 6.5mm cartridges.

Then about a decade the later, the 6.5CM hit the scene and Remington missed the boat. But now Remington is trying to bring back the .260 Rem. People in the know, realize the .260 Rem and .260 AI will beat-out the 6.5CM in the long run.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.