Wyoming whitetail trophy

I've seen a few good Whiteys on walls 140 to around 160". Only reason I think/say Wyoming they were in Wyoming with a plaque or sign saying name and state. I have never seen one only some great mule deer. Only hunted Antelope and just looked at the deer. At least for out of state....one buck deer was all I could shoot.

Most years, I usually shoot a mule deer and whitetail buck. Additional whitetail buck tags are draw only. If you can find a mule deer area probably on the eastern side of the state that you could grab with no points and an additional buck whitetail tag with points, you might get it done. You'll have to go guided if yer talking trophy hunt.

A very large whitetail in WY is 140, although I have seen a few reaching 170.
As stated above, you get a deer tag (if drawn) and can kill a buck... one buck. There are a few variations but this is in the simplest of definitions.
I am not aware how the previous poster aquires two tags for bucks. Not doubting him, but this isn't reality in my hunt areas.

There's a lot of great whitetail hunting in Wyoming. They love the river bottoms and the Black Hills area around Sundance. I used to hunt the Big Horn Basin, and the whitetail population there was thriving. Basically anywhere you could find trees around there, you could find whitetails.

Are there any chances for trophy whitetail in Wyoming? How about combination mule dear and whitetail trophy hunts in Wyoming?

Good day Rich,

Please define "trophy whitetail" and how many points do you have for deer in Wyo?

A very large whitetail in WY is 140, although I have seen a few reaching 170…………..

I agree with this. I have shot a few nice bucks in the 140-155 class, in the Buffalo area…What the buck may lack in potential size, the hunting method of hunting the river bottoms, skews, and valleys from a high vantage point place more then offsets the potential for size! Lots of all day glassing and long range shooting to catch the older smart bucks. Wyoming is one my favorite places to hunt whitetails beside of the unique terrain.
Some of my nicer Wyoming bucks, and a typical hide.. 1D3AA8B8-6DF1-4279-8EA5-A0BA52BA1872.jpeg961D4BDE-95BF-4919-B424-7D9DC72C4CEF.jpeg71667C43-449F-47FC-843D-09CA39789532.jpeg5E63B6ED-8FC2-46BE-863E-C24C137ECF7B.jpegEA13CEA7-490E-4084-99C4-00F67FD4A357.jpeg0655602E-BD83-4E93-9DAD-04E45163C4F6.jpeg
E34E15A9-CA38-478E-B438-6AAF642998BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Good day Rich,

Please define "trophy whitetail" and how many points do you have for deer in Wyo?

You're making me look bad. On two occasions I saw whitetail deer. Both times I was near Roseburg, Oregon. They were all does. So I guess most any above average would be a "trophy" for this novice. As for muledeer something above 175 would be acceptable.

Someone asked about "points". I would have to start from scratch for Wyoming points. I might have some pronghorn points. What a trophy pronghorn in B&C inches?

A very large whitetail in WY is 140, although I have seen a few reaching 170.
As stated above, you get a deer tag (if drawn) and can kill a buck... one buck. There are a few variations but this is in the simplest of definitions.
I am not aware how the previous poster aquires two tags for bucks. Not doubting him, but this isn't reality in my hunt areas.

If you check the regs, you'll see a number of areas that give out additional whitetail buck tags. Been that way since the early 90's…

If you check the regs, you'll see a number of areas that give out additional whitetail buck tags. Been that way since the early 90's…
Shhhhhhh!😁😁
Generally WY isn't known for big whitetail but there are a few outfitters that have some great ground to hunt also. The eastern side of the state is where you will want to look.