Wyoming unit 39

338weatherby

I will be heading out to unit 39 this coming Tuesday. I've never hunted in this unit or portion of the Bighorns. I've hunted cats just South of this unit out of Shell but that was it. There will be five of us, two with bull tags (myself being one) and the other three have cow tags. I've got good maps and some knowledge from a friend who has hunted 39 three times. I'm planning on glassing a couple of days prior to Friday's opener. We will have a trailer set up at the trucks for a base camp that we are planning to set up close to 14. Myself and another guy will set up near cookstove in the cimmaron to hunt out of. The weather was looking good at least for the actual hunting season. However, it looks like there will be heavy snow Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday prior to opener. Since we will be arriving Tuesday night or Wednesday evening, I was wondering if anybody knows if 14 will be plowed coming from Ranchester? This snow looks like it will be effecting my plans of where I was going. Getting back to cookstove might be a problem even with the side by side. Any tips for this area would be appreciated.

I have hunted that area a few times. One good heavy snow and the elk move out of the high country. Don't set up camp up high, way back in. Fairly regularly hunters get snowed in and may take days to get out. Many of those "roads" don't get
Some years ago a friend got snowed in up there. Cost over $1000 to get someone private to plow him out plus the damage to his truck getting out. Heavy early snow was one of the reasons I quit hunting that unit. If it snows, hunt lower.
Bruce

I have hunted that area a few times. One good heavy snow and the elk move out of the high country. Don't set up camp up high, way back in. Fairly regularly hunters get snowed in and may take days to get out. Many of those "roads" don't get
Some years ago a friend got snowed in up there. Cost over $1000 to get someone private to plow him out plus the damage to his truck getting out. Heavy early snow was one of the reasons I quit hunting that unit. If it snows, hunt lower.
Bruce
That will be the plan, hunting lower. Thanks.

.338- just a heads up to keep up to speed on the weather forecast for next week. Possible major winter storm with heavy snow and high winds starting Monday night into Wednesday! Lots of variables, but it could hit in area 39.

I have seen years where campers were stuck in there all winter from heavy snow storms . Did not get them out until spring. Most of them smashed in from weight of snow . Saw them while snowmobiling early spring. One of them was a buddy of mine that could not get it out. Four feet of snow in 2 days. Could not see where road was.

I'm in Gillette so I'm a little ways from 39 in the Bighorns,but I'd consider the high country closed. Lots of snow here. I-90 is closed as well as several local hi-ways. Anything we get is usually rougher in the Bighorns as the elevation magnifies everything. Be safe and have some hardcore winter gear.

There is a foot of snow up on sheep mountain and medicine wheel roads. Not too bad but we only drove down a 1/2 mile or so. We are going to drop camp in the campground off of 14A on the other side of road. Truck is fine in there. Going to see how the side by side handles going to duncum and sheep.

Well done! I was there for deer and just never saw anything of size
Glad you guys had a good time