Wyoming type 6 hunts

Snowbird

I'm looking for some suggestions with good access ideally in the Southwest of the state. Last season I picked up a non-resident doe tag in the Lander area thinking the access was good based on some maps and the lack of an asterix by the unit. Little did i know it was private land locked. Oh well, lesson learned.

This year I've been scouring the drawing odds and success rates on the wyo website but thought some folks here would have good insight. any help is appreciated.

Draw odds are not bad if you put in for the areas around Casper. 67, 65, 25.

The trick is to be very prepared. Try to get on a HMA.

Draw odds are not bad if you put in for the areas around Casper. 67, 65, 25.

The trick is to be very prepared. Try to get on a HMA.

I think you need to take a closer look at your draw odds, as 65 and 67 are very hard to draw the few does tags that are available and buck tags took 4 and 7 PPs last year in those units, respectively. Unit 25 is very doable as far as getting tag, but access to public land is not good.

is there any way to look at how many tags will be offered per unit to judge the likelihood of drawing? I noticed a few units that have type 6 hunts which did not have them over the last couple years. it appears that sometime a few years back the herd numbers must have taken a hit because the available tag numbers have decreased substantially. I'd hope with the mild winter that there may be more tags available but i'm no biologist.

I'd like to narrow down to about 5 units and choose from there. from what i can tell, there are very few non-resident type 6 tags to go around and my lack of points may mean i'll be looking for leftover tags. any case, i'd still like to put in and maybe get lucky.

In the meantime, i've been scouring the draw odds and hunter success to days in the field ratios. I know some places i'd likely have good success but am not 100% sure on access or ability to draw the tag.

fwiw, i'm mostly looking along i-80 from casper west and south of lander.

Type 6 tags don't even use the PP system, so you'll have the same chance as anyone else for a tag in the unit you apply for. Also, if you have been looking in the draw odds for NRs on the G&F website like you stated, it shows how many tags there were for each unit and how many people applied for them. Come up with whatever 4 or 5 units that you narrow it down to and I can tell you your access chances to hunt on public land. The antelope numbers are down approximately 200,000 over the last few years from the historic highs they were at in about 2009.

thanks topgun,

i did look at the previous years tag quotas and how many people applied as 1st choice and second. i just did not know if the data was available for the current years quotas since some of them change yearly and a few of the units were not offered in recent years. i did notice that if a tag went unapplied for but had decent harvest success OTC, the following year it was sold out heavily.

Final tag quotas for this year won't be up on the G&F website under the Final Regulations section until late April, which will still give you more than a month until the application deadline of June 1 this year. Those totals will be for both the residents and NRs, so you will then have to figure the NR total, which is about 20% of that overall total for antelope, as well as deer. For elk that was just completed the NRs get 16% and a minimum of 7250 full price tags by statute, along with thousands of reduced price Type 6 & 7 tags.

What area did you put in for. I live in Lander, and know that there is a lot of BLM land all around Lander. You just need to get away from town a ways.

What area did you put in for. I live in Lander, and know that there is a lot of BLM land all around Lander. You just need to get away from town a ways.

He hasn't put in for anything yet. He's just in the starting process of trying to figure out what he wants to do and he has 3 months before he needs to apply.

as i recall it was 65, but it may have been a type 7 hunt as it seemed to have a lot of strange micro boundaries. I bought the leftover 65 tag after missing out on unit 55 within the few seconds that they went on sale. the boundary was west of the main hwy thru lander, north of the little popo agie and south of the popo agie river. after some time, i did find access to public land through some fishing access and later a WMA that i couldn't seem to find on the maps. it proved to me the value of having a gps with a chip. it would have saved some headaches and though i still dont own one, i plan to soon.

to be honest, i spend a lot of time bow hunting elk and mule deer in the mountains. i had in my mind a quick easy access hunt that i could spot from near a road, make a plan and stalk to within a reasonable range for either my bow or rifle as the wind would allow. i don't mean to minimize the effort needed to harvest but i can really only allow for 1 to 2 days of hunting at a time, once or twice. if i can manage a walk in access hunt in that amount of time and salvage the meat then that's a possibility. if not, i need to stick to road access with shorter hikes.

I was scanning quotas for non-resident antelope tags, and I feel sorry for any one putting in for them. It's hard enough for residents to draw out, and there are a lot more licenses available for us. Area 65 is pretty open once you get about 20 miles from town. Beaver rim to the Gas Hills rd. I am not sure if there are any restrictions on the type 7 tags. Good luck on the draw.

I was scanning quotas for non-resident antelope tags, and I feel sorry for any one putting in for them. It's hard enough for residents to draw out, and there are a lot more licenses available for us. Area 65 is pretty open once you get about 20 miles from town. Beaver rim to the Gas Hills rd. I am not sure if there are any restrictions on the type 7 tags. Good luck on the draw.

Sorry I misunderstood the question asking about what he put in for in not realizing you meant last year! The Type 7 tag for 65 is only good north of the river while the Type 6 tag is good for the entire unit.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.