Wyoming Spring Bear Hunt

ADMIN

Administrator
ADMIN submitted a new Article:

Wyoming Spring Bear Hunt

Wyoming Spring Bear Hunt
By Ron Simmons

To hunt bears or not to hunt bears? That's a question I've pondered for many years. I've backpacked and hunted the Olympic and Cascade Mountain ranges in my home state of Washington since I was a Boy Scout. After a handful of encounters in some very majestic places, bears took on a special, almost sacred significance to me. For many years I chose not to actively pursue bears and focused my efforts on...

Read more about this article here...

I greatly enjoyed reading your story.
If you could clarify a couple key points:
1) break the shoulder- are you referring to the point the shoulder The" humerous " where it connects in body the ball of the shoulder so to speak???? Not just the humerous but hit the ball so to speak????

2) are you referring to the shooting stance as pictured where the recoil is absorbed by the armpit???? do you any more pictures showing this shooting position.

3) Are those the stoney point shooting sticks seems very hard to find if you can share a source I would appreciate buying some.

God does work in funny unpredictable ways. Each step is a step of faith, then a walk of faith, then a journey of faith, then eternal memories of faith, all for his glory.

GREAT ARTICLE
odavid

What kind of Ft lbs of energy should a hunter strive for at the given range to be effective in killing a huge bear like this???? Ex: is 800 ft lbs of energy a limiting factor in range limiting the distance between a killing shot and a wounding shot???

Thanks for sharing your expertise
ODAVID

ODAVID - I'm glad you enjoyed the article. Please find my responses to your questions below in blue font.

I greatly enjoyed reading your story.
If you could clarify a couple key points:
1) break the shoulder- are you referring to the point the shoulder The" humerous " where it connects in body the ball of the shoulder so to speak???? Not just the humerous but hit the ball so to speak????

In this case, the intent of the shoulder placement is to limit post shot mobility. Mortally wounded bears can travel a great distance thus decreasing the chances of harvest recovery. Focus on the ball socket region and if the opportunity presents itself wait for a shot angle that allows for disabling the offside shoulder as well. This aim point inflicts substantial wounding, leading to a quick kill coupled with limited tracking of the animal.

2) are you referring to the shooting stance as pictured where the recoil is absorbed by the armpit???? do you any more pictures showing this shooting position.

Many examples of improvised field rest positions for mountain hunting may be found on NTO's website. Practice deployment of these positions in the field often. Aim for set up and shot readiness in 60 seconds or less. It's harder than you might think!

https://nontypicaloutfitters.com/shooting-classes/

3) Are those the stoney point shooting sticks seems very hard to find if you can share a source I would appreciate buying some.

I purchased my stoney point shooting sticks more than a decade ago. Unfortunately, I believe they are no longer in production.

God does work in funny unpredictable ways. Each step is a step of faith, then a walk of faith, then a journey of faith, then eternal memories of faith, all for his glory.

GREAT ARTICLE
odavid

What kind of Ft lbs of energy should a hunter strive for at the given range to be effective in killing a huge bear like this???? Ex: is 800 ft lbs of energy a limiting factor in range limiting the distance between a killing shot and a wounding shot???

Thanks for sharing your expertise
ODAVID

That's difficult to put a number on considering the many variables involved. I personally would consider 1,500 ft lbs a minimum. Could you kill cleanly with less? Sure. The bear in the article was taken with approximately 2350 ft lbs on target at 530 yards. Bullet velocity was approximately 2300 fps at that range.

One heck of a bear Ron, congratulations! A beautifully colored bear like that, over 7' and with a 20" skull is quite a bear!

And after a difficult hunt too. Perfect!

Thanks for the article, I enjoyed it very much.

Regards, Guy

One heck of a bear Ron, congratulations! A beautifully colored bear like that, over 7' and with a 20" skull is quite a bear!

And after a difficult hunt too. Perfect!

Thanks for the article, I enjoyed it very much.

Regards, Guy
Thanks Guy appreciate your comments. Probably the bear of a lifetime and looking forward to more pursuits.