Wyoming speed goat hunt

Don't blame the .243, especially at less than 100 yards on the goat you shot. Blame the bullets from what you have now posted, but they did take the animal and he didn't go far from what you are saying. The other mistake you made was planning on shooting out at 500 yards if you had only shot it one time at only 300 yards and then you mentioned 500 yards where the goat was originally and you were going to shoot that distance. That is a nono if you only shot one time at 300 and no further in your home state. Those are the kind of mistakes that make people that practice diligently at LR shooting cringe and it hurts the sport for those that take it seriously and do it right. If you're changing rifles for next year and plan to shoot at long distance, then practice diligently out to the maximum range with it that you'll be attempting to take an animal at and not just one shot!

Don't blame the .243, especially at less than 100 yards on the goat you shot. Blame the bullets from what you have now posted, but they did take the animal and he didn't go far from what you are saying. The other mistake you made was planning on shooting out at 500 yards if you had only shot it one time at only 300 yards and then you mentioned 500 yards where the goat was originally and you were going to shoot that distance. That is a nono if you only shot one time at 300 and no further in your home state. Those are the kind of mistakes that make people that practice diligently at LR shooting cringe and it hurts the sport for those that take it seriously and do it right. If you're changing rifles for next year and plan to shoot at long distance, then practice diligently out to the maximum range with it that you'll be attempting to take an animal at and not just one shot!

Are you saying an SST is not a 100 yard bullet. You did not ready very closely. I had multiple chances to shoot at 475 yards and many times between. I waited till he was at 95 yards. I made no mistakes. I don't think I said I had planned on shooting out to 500. I will say again a 243 is not a dependable 500 yard gun when most of the time dealing with 30mph winds. My first trip taught me a lot.

Sorry for the apparent lack of communication about what happened. You stated when the buck was at 500 yards your companion said to shoot, but the buck started running toward you until you shot at under 100 yards straight on and then twice broadside before the goat dropped. Thus, it sounded like you would have shot at 500 yards if you had been on the animal and ready the way I read your account. Your followup statement dissed the .243 and since I have no idea what you call long range that is why I made the statement. You also said nothing about a 30mph wind in your narrative. With a wind like that I certainly would not shoot at any animal at any real distance, especially with the .243 and that's why I also take my 25-06 on goat hunts out there. Finally, I had very poor success with the SST in my 30-06s out there and went to the Hornady SP and BTSP in the three different calibers I reload for (.243, 25-06, and 3 30-06s) and find them great at all distances within my shooting capabilities. Thanks for your followup clarifying things!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts