Wyoming sheep

gillettehunter

After applying for 16 years I finally drew a Wy sheep permit for area 2 NW of Cody! Now I got to lose 20 lbs and get the legs back in shape. Still got to decide whether to hire a guide or DIY. Thats a tough one. Anyone else get lucky with sheep permits? Bruce

Bruce,
Congratulation on the tag, I drew that area six years ago. I hunted almost everyday for a month and passed up six Rams. If I were going to do it over I would hire a Outfitter as they know where the sheep hang out. In the long run, it would have saved me money because I wouldn't have taken the whole month off work.
If you decide to go with a Outfitter there are two that I would highly recommend if you don't already have on in mind.

Grizz Turner with Bliss Creek outfitter (I hope my memory is correct on his name)
John Porter with Morning Creek Outfitters.

What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck. :)

Scratch

Based on it likely being once in a lifetime I'm likely to hire a guide. One of the fellows in elk camp last year had hunted sheep. He said every hunter in camp killed his ram on opening day... I don't want to waste this tag. Thanks for the info. Bruce

Bruce, First of all congratulations on the tag!!! Most hunters will never know the elation of drawing such a coveted tag, and then the panic of trying to figure out how to make it the hunt you have always dreamed of. I grew up in that area and I have hunted sheep in Area 2 several times over the years. I would be truely torn about doing it myself or hiring an outfitter. I would probably hire an outfitter to ensure that my hunt was a success. I have hunted many sheep with John Porter of Morning Creek Outfitters and would highly recommend his services. He will do everything in his power to get you the ram you want. One added bonus is most of his hunts are filmed for TV and you could have a video of the experience to share with all your friends and family. Good Luck!

Jonh Porter is on my short list. I think I'm going to hire a guide. He is suppose to be one of the best. I spoke to him a while back about this. It should be fun. Bruce

If you really want a great guide at Morning Creek, you should enlist John's sister Robin. Yes I said sister. She is probably the best sheep guide I have ever seen. Hunters usually have a tough time starting a hunt with Robin, because she is a woman, but they end the hunt knowing what an amazing guide she is. I am not sure how many sheep she has guided over the years but I bet it is right up there with John. Just a thought.

I have several choices. I have a 6.5-06 that is being built. Should be done no later than next month. If it shoots like it should then that will be my top choice. I have a Swarovski 3.5X18 to put on top and was looking to get the turrets for it.
I also have aTikka T3 in the .270WSM as well as .300 WSM. The .300WSM will put 3 Barnes TTSX into 1 1/2 inches at 300 yards. Right now its one of my best shooting rifles. I plan to try some Matrix 165's in the .270WSM. Bigngreen has been getting great results w/ them. If they shoot well it could be a consideration. I'm just getting into the long range shooting. At least I have some choices.
Talked to John. Looks like I'll be sending him a deposit this week. Bruce

Congrats! I would definitely go DIY if you have access to horses. The price of an outfitter is awfully steep. Besides, there are several people around that could point you in the right direction and I hear there are plenty of rams to choose from.

I have been wanting a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI for some time. I have a 6.5x284 and love it, just want to step up the velocity a bit. Let us know how the 6.5-06 shoots. That 270 WSM is also a good choice. I would use it as my backup gun to the 6.5. Keep us posted.

I'm in the same boat, I drew unit #3, to the south of you. Didn't even have all my preference points, I hit the random draw, 8 tags, 549 applicants.
No way I'm spending 7 to 9 large on guide. I've always hunted "DIY"for elk and have done pretty well. For me, finding them is the hunt. If others use an outfitter thats OK, just not for me. I hope I don't have to take a month off from work!
On the plus side, I have a few friends with experience in the area and am in the process of picking their brains for a few tips and come up with a plan.
But I'm pretty sure it will involve hitting some wild country and glassing.
I've got to admire the WY Game & Fish's plan for sheep management. You apply for years and even decades and then when you are old, overweight, and broke down they let you draw a tag.

I did not draw but have 4 friends with tags in area 5. Busy summer for me but will have a tag in next 2 years in 5. If you decide on a guide give Meade Dominic at 7d ranches a call. We went on a late sesaon elk hunt 2 years ago with him and i have never seen a better run outfit. Meade doesnt care if you are rich or poor he will wotk his tail off for you. Great people , great stock and and a great sheep hunter. kurt

Well I have gone ahead and hired John Porter of Morning Creek outfitters. Seem like area 2 is his preferred area. He killed his sheep in that unit as did his brother, both in the last 3 years. I don't have the time to scout it so hiring a guide seems to be the best choice. Odds are that I never will draw a sheep license in Wy again. A friend of mine drew in area 3 last year and didn't connect on a DIY. He went up 2 times, but didn't put in as much time as I would of. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll hopefully have pics to post in Sept. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts