Wyoming Region J

New Member from Wisconsin checking in. Recently retired. Love hunting and fishing. Lived in Arizona for a while where I got to do some fantastic Elk, Mule Deer, Javelina and Coyote hunting. Have hunted Montanna and Colorado a few times. Asked some guys from WI last year that if they ever had an opening on their hunt to WY I would love to go. This year they gave me the opportunity. Didn't get drawn for the region we wanted but were able to purchase some leftover Mule Deer tags for Region J. 1st time hunting in WY and looking for any info or tips for the region. Any hunt area to avoid or better than the others? Any special rules or regulations to be aware of? Camping restrictions? Any and all information will be most appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to the Forum.

Take a few hours of your time and go through the entire G&F website. There is all kinds of information. It's doubtful that people are going to tell you where to hunt, but be aware that there was a reason the Region had leftover tags after the draw! Camping is not allowed on any state land.

Thanks for the reply Topgun. I've looked over the website. Also purchased the WY chip for my gps. The guys I'm going with have hunted this area before but was just looking for a little additional insight. As I'll be out there a few weeks before they arrive, I'll have some time to scout around. Thanks again forn the prompt reply.

I live in Region J. Most of it is private land and much of that is either poor deer country , i.e. open land/rolling prairie or leased by outfitters. Nat'l. Forest has some deer, but not sure what kind of license you have if you can hunt on the forest. It's also close to 2 of the most populated areas of the state, i.e. Cheyenne and Laramie, so has lots of pressure. Not trying to discourage you, but would strongly suggest trying to get permission on private land and be best if you can check out the land before committing so you don't end up on open prairie.

Thanks for the reply wyosteve. Having never hunted in WY before is there any insight you might give a guy for obtaining permission to hunt private land? I'll be out early to do some scouting so would have time to see if I could get permission but would appreciate some advice as how to go about it. Thanks again.

My thoughts on getting private land permission would be to contact the Wyo. Game and Fish Dept. and/or the Chamber of Commerce in Cheyenne and Laramie. When I lived in Gillette, the Chamber kept a list of landowners who were looking for hunters. Not sure if Cheyenne does the same though. Otherwise, stopping by local gun shops or local sporting goods stores might help.

Thanks for the help Steve. Much appreciated. I'll check into your suggestions beforehand and when I get out there. Thanks again. Looking forward to hunting Wyoming. BCN.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.