Wyoming Pronghorn Details... Guidance Needed Please

efw

A hunting partner and I have been talking about pronghorn hunting in Wyoming for several years and we have finally gotten serious about doing something in '09.

Our hope had been to fly out to Salt Lk City, rent a car up to the Flaming Gorge Nat'l Rec Area where we'd have camping equipment sent ahead of time. We'd hunt area #95 from a base camp in the campground within the Rec Area, doing an overnight backcountry excursion or two if necessary. Unfortunately I wasn't faithful in my due diligence and according to draw results from this year we'd need 2 preference points to pull a tag there.

We're both purchasing a point (PP) this year, and we know there are great spots for PH all over the state. We're not trophy hunters, so we'd both be happy with a respectable representative head.

Here are our chief considerations in choosing a management area:

1) Ability to get non-resident tag w/ one PP

2) Reasonable (a few hours max) proximity to major airport

3) Ability to pick up equipment sent via USPS or UPS

4) Big tracts of public hunting lands with access to large roadless areas

5) Ability to camp on/near hunting area

If anybody has personal experience with a hunting area that fits this description and would be willing to lend assistance I'd be EXTREMELY grateful. PM me if you'd prefer.

We have never hunted out West at all, so general feedback on this plan would be appreciated as well. If we can't find a spot that is suitable we could just get our second PP next year and know that it'll be on the back burner another year, with a hunt in area #95 reasonably certain in '10.

Thanks a lot y'all,

EFWakeman

Last edited:
Thank you very much; both of these are very helpful in "project management"!

If you are flying into SLC and planning on camping in the Flaming Gorge area check Wyo. hunt areas 95, 112, & 59. They have mostly public (BLM ) and Forest service land. The Flaming Gorge National recreation area is administered by Ashley National Forest with offices in Vernal Utah & Manila Utah, and Green River, Wyo.
It is about a 3 hour drive from SLC Airport to Manila Utah or Green River,Wy. Area 95 is on the west side of the lake from the Utah line to I80and extends west about 45/50 miles . gobs of BLM Land in this area. Area 59 and Area 112 are on the east side of the lake from I80 south to the Utah state line and extends from the lake to Hiway 430 on the eastern boundary. lot of public land here also. All of these areas are great areas for spot and stalk.
Don't get excited and shoot the first buck you see. There are some good antelope in these areas. Take your time and enjoy Wyoming.

I would not go to SLC, I would go to Jackson (Hole) and hunt the areas around Pinedale as it is the largest migration route. (I live there). We typically see several 1000 each year with no special effort. It's a lot easier place to hunt than the "sagebrush sea" around Flaming Gorge
Don't fall for the "long range myth". If you know how to stalk whitetails, the same tricks apply to Antelope. Cover, camo and wind. With rare exceptions, the Antelope we take are shot at under 200 yards within a mile of my house. A garden variety 270, 308 or 30-06 with a good 3-9 scope and garden variety softpoints is all you need.
As far as shipping stuff ahead, you would do best to establish a contact where you are going. Guns are a no no unless going to an FFL
Get the animal cleaned. cooled and skinned ASAP. It is usually quite warm during season.
A pair of good walking sticks like Komperdels are an excellent idea and can also be used to steady the rifle. First pic is first 08' tag, 270 M 70 w/BOSS, Trijicon 3-9, factory Remington 130s, 350 yards (second longest shot in 11 years), second is second 08' tag 300 Savage M99R, 1.5-5 Burris, handloads w/130 TSXs, 81 yards.
Both were taken with 1/2 mile of the other, 1 mile from home on state public hunting land.
If you do come up our way, drop me an email [email protected] and we can probably get together.

antelope08.jpg

antellope22008.jpg

Mr. Humble,

I really appreciate the information as well as the invitation!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.