Wyoming PD expedition :)

budlight

The round to have is 55 gr varmageddon HP! Very explosive. 28 gr of Leverevolution powder nets me right at 3300 in my 20 inch SS 5.56 chamber 1:9 with a nice two inch Holland muzzle brake. You don;t even come off the target in your scope when you fire. The two friends only had 55 gr SP. At sub 100 yards the HP basically make them disappear.

We were just driving around in a jeep with the windows down with heavy pillows on the window sills. Spot and stop. We didn't have a range finder along, but estimates were as high as 400 yards. Some of them took 5 shots before a hit and the sub 200 were one shotters. Like if the dog is on the crest of a hill way out there your misses are an unknown factor as to where it actually went. I was zeroed at 200. Wyoming is cold and windy. So like a 300 yard shot with a cross wind you actually had to be shooting 8-10 inches wide for windage.

Prairie Dogs must be dumber for the first hunts of the year. Because they would be standing up with dirt kicking up or bullets whizzing by and they just kept looking around. All three of us were going through about 100 - 150 rounds every day during my 5 day trip. One place was like a shooting gallery and my mid weight barrel actually got pretty hot so I took a break.

I bought 6000 Varmingeddon about 10 years ago when they were about 7 cents a piece in bulk boxes. Sad thing is that I'm down to only a 1000 or so left to load.

Great to have friends that live in Wyoming. We saw impressive Elk everyday in velvet just about half grown racks that were going to be trophy size. Antelope everywhere and the shooting didn't bother them. Some nice bucks just standing by the road looking at you.

Last edited:
I use a caldwell brass catcher and was dumping my rounds in a big coffee can. I shot 628 rounds in five outings. My friends said that they didn't bother counting but their cans were equally full. We did testing years ago using 55 fmj, 55 SP, 62 gr BTHP, and 55 gr HP were just massively destructive in comparison.

We were out on two track roads that are rarely used and sometimes after driving for hours had to come back out the same way we went in. But a different set of dogs was out so it was fun both ways

Last edited: