Wyoming Mule Deer Units

brant89

I'm planning on taking my father-in-law on a DIY mule deer hunt in WY in the next year or two (hopefully next year as I'm getting the itch to go west again). We will have 2 points each but aren't looking for B&C bucks, just some average-size deer in an area with reasonable public access. We are flatlanders so elevation and bears are a concern as well. I've antelope hunted unit 9 a couple times in the past and had a blast, but the deer population there wasn't stellar. I was kind of leaning towards one of the general units in the southern part of the state but would be open to any suggestions as well as general advice on locating mule deer.

I think you will get what you are looking for in the southern units. Pick one with high percent success. Look at draw odds and consider the special draw if you really want to hunt next year. Keep in mind some of them have changing antler point restrictions from year to year. Call and ask a biologist about the deer population in the particular area.

I think you will get what you are looking for in the southern units. Pick one with high percent success. Look at draw odds and consider the special draw if you really want to hunt next year. Keep in mind some of them have changing antler point restrictions from year to year. Call and ask a biologist about the deer population in the particular area.
It looks like 2 points could get us anywhere except G, H, and K. How are the deer numbers in region W?