Wyoming Max elk points. unit 62?

mw185

I,m from montana and thinking of using points this year.I have heard good things about 62 as a good self guided unit for a nice bull. No horses, so it would be on foot. Any feedback before I use this possible once in a lifetime opportunity of the max points pool or other suggestions. I would happily do an info swap on a montana hunt.

Thankyou, Mike

Max points this year is 7, correct? 62 is a good area but I would think long and hard before using all those points on it / any area. You have a lot of options. If you're tired of waiting to hunt in Wyoming, I think you could draw it pretty easily and have really good hunt. But, if you applied elsewhere in one of the more 'prestigious' areas you may have a real good chance at a whopper with less hunting pressure. But, that may take another year or two to draw. Not saying you couldn't drop a big one in 62, just saying there are several great places to hunt with 7 years worth of points.

magnumitis,

Thanks for the reply.It looks like the top("prestigious") areas could still take years to draw-around 5% odds last yr with max points. Area 7 and 62 looked like some of the tops for having a good chance drawing but I really dont want to deal with private land if possible. If it were you and you were ready to draw which unit would you look at.

It is a very good unit with a good chance at a good bull. I usally apply for unit 61 which is more wilderness area. Wilderness areas require a guide or resident. Unit 62 is more front country with more National Forest less wilderness. I dont know if you have ever seen this country but is very rugged so if you are a foot you need to be in great shape or you will suffer!!! I lived and hunted Montana and the Bob was about as rugged as I hunted but is nothing compared to the country down here. When I go to Bozeman to guide in the Galatin its like walking flat country. LOL Bears are a big problem in this area also more so than Montana. I guide unit 61 and almost every bull we shot in the evening was messed with by morning. Two bears got killed opening week. I would stay away from opening week you will have a much better hunt latter. We see hardly anyone after the first week. I would do the 3rd week. I have few friends who pick this unit and they have shot some dandy bulls. You will not be disapointed I have never seen hunting of this quality up in MT.
Scott

Oh I see, didn't know that. Does he have Jake Clark's old camp in Eleanor or just the one on Venus?

Hey everyone. New to forum. I am thinking of applying my son for unit 61-2 or unit 62 in WY as well. He has max points. I hate to waste them if it is unrealistic to hunt this unit DIY without horses. We are non residents so Wilderness areas are off limits. Any help or ideas would be great. I hunted unit 7 a couple years back. It was a good hunt but the checker board hunting sucked. I dont want to burn his max points on that experience. running out of time to decide. Any suggestions would be great

We didn't get much snow last season so the elk were still held up in the North Greybull wilderness country, which made that 61-2 tag hard to hunt... especially for NR hunters for obvious reasons. 62 has more roads and less wilderness so it seems to be less of a gamble and more non-resident friendly. I wouldn't want to hunt either tag on foot although it is doable. I would just prefer riding and not hiking my butt off.

I agree with Magnumitis. To come from out of state with little knowledge of the area and hunting by hiking in will be difficult. The biggest problem will be when you get something down and getting it out. First you will have the bears to deal with and then if it is warm getting all the meat out with out spoiling. The country is rough and on a scale of 10 being the roughest its a 8 or 9. I have friends that hunt it afoot they are in great shape and when they get something down they bring in the horses!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.