Wyoming hunt advice needed

patross79

Guys, me and 2 buddies are sitting on 3 pp each for Wyoming. We aren't looking for "trophy" goats just some good 12" or so with possible bigger and decent access, we aren't afraid to put in some miles on foot. Can such a hunt be had w 3 pp or is that aiming a bit high. Any area units to look at would be appreciated.

Should have no issues finding some 12" antelope with three PPs. Lots of units will give you good access and opportunity.

Look at areas around Casper, Farson, or Jeffery City. Get land owners maps for these areas so you can determine which ones have the most BLM land with the easiest access.

I was hoping it would be easily done, I'll likely try holding off for a 14 or so. I have taken up to 13" in Nebraska but would love a crack at a 14. Other 2 guys are from Arkansas and they said anything in that 12" plus they would be thrilled with as it's their first time hunting them.

With three points if you want to hunt a unit with lots of public land, you need to apply in the special draw, which will be $288 more than the regular draw. But otherwise you really don't have many good options. Most of the good antelope units that have plenty of public land are taking at least six points to draw in the regular draw. That could change if this winter is easy and quotas are increased. But if quotas stay about the same I'd recommend you spend the extra money on the special draw if you want to hunt this year.

With three points if you want to hunt a unit with lots of public land, you need to apply in the special draw, which will be $288 more than the regular draw. But otherwise you really don't have many good options. Most of the good antelope units that have plenty of public land are taking at least six points to draw in the regular draw. That could change if this winter is easy and quotas are increased. But if quotas stay about the same I'd recommend you spend the extra money on the special draw if you want to hunt this year.
Im a resident of Wyoming. Just have a question. If a non resident applies for the special draw and don't draw, do they get a second chance in the other draw ?
I haven't been able to draw since '15. Maybe this is my year as a resident. Lol

No, you are only in one draw or the other, not both.

That's a bummer you haven't drawn a tag in three years. Looking at the odds, many good units look like around 50% odds for residents. I do see a few that are close to 100%.

So if you really wanted to hunt antelope you probably could, just not in your favorite unit.

Guys, me and 2 buddies are sitting on 3 pp each for Wyoming. We aren't looking for "trophy" goats just some good 12" or so with possible bigger and decent access, we aren't afraid to put in some miles on foot. Can such a hunt be had w 3 pp or is that aiming a bit high. Any area units to look at would be appreciated.
If you check with the biologist for the area wanting to hunt he can give you great advice we got one that mailed me a list of ranchers that might let you access there property we hunted 2 years in a row with no PP out there with rancher that charged us $50.00 tress pass fee third year just hunted for free since we got to be friends worth a try

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.