Wyoming help

tlong

I have read through the website and the rules/regs, but I have a question regarding cow elk tags. On January 1st, when I submit my license, do I just put on there that I want to hunt cow elk in area XYZ or do I have to wait until July 15, when they go on sale OTC?

The month of January is the application period for all NR elk tags. You would apply for a specific unit for a cow tag. If you want a bull tag you would do the same or apply for a general tag that is good for a large number of units and you can have a first, second, and third choice in both draws. Most bull tags will require some PPs and the better the units are thought to be the more PPs it takes to draw them. If you apply for a general tag with no PPs in 2016 you will have about a 65% chance of drawing. If you buy a PP for $50 during the application period this summer (7/1-9/30), you would pretty well be guaranteed a tag. Cow tags are strictly random draw for each unit and no PPs are used such that everyone has the same chance at a tag for a particular unit they apply for. Any tags that aren't taken in the Draws go on sale in July on a first come first serve basis. Everything is done online on the G&F website.

TG...Yeah I understand that part of the draw, but if I solely wanted to hunt for cow elk, not apply for a bull tag, is it the same process only I would enter Unit A-6 type hunt? and from what I understand, you can't use preference points towards cow elk?

That is correct. You would apply for the unit number for the Type 6 reduced price cow tag just as you stated (1-6, 6-6, 12-6 etc.) and no PPs are used. Please reread my initial post, as I was doing some editing while you were replying. Any other questions or if you need any help, just give me a shout, as I know the Wyoming draw pretty well. The Type 4 cow tag is a full priced tag and PPs are used for those drawings. There are usually a lot of leftover Type 6 tags in July, so if you are planning on hunting in 2016 take a look at the draw odd for 2015 when they are posted later this year to see what your chances for the unit you want to apply for will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.