Wyoming Fish and Game Funding Issues

C.O. Shooter

Hello All

If you get a minute, read this article on Wyoming Fish and Game Funding Issues. Wyoming Game & Fish Department They are looking for ideas to raise funds for Game & Fish. One of their options is to raise the price of licenses, quite significantly beginning January 01, 2014. They are also looking at other options like a Super Raffle, Raising the subscription rate on Wyoming Wildlife Magazine, selling Mule Deer licenses separate from Whitetail but possibly being able to buy one of each, etc. They are looking for public input. If they raise the license prices like Montana did they will price the working man right of going, and will probably sell less tags and not be gaining financially what they had hoped. I know for me, I have to save all year to make my week long trip. So if you think it may affect you in the next five years, or just don't think it's fair, please provide input.

Thank you for posting that, I hadn't seen it. I'm glad they are asking for our help instead of forcing cost increases down our throat. It seems they still understand the Game & Fish Dept. lives & dies by the support of sportsmen. Below are my comments posted to the G&F board:

The idea of raising tag fees will only hurt your annual revenue, especially considering the dismal numbers we are experiencing in the north eastern part of the state. The concept of separating whitetail & Mule deer tags is sound, I like the prospect of purchasing both, I support that. The super raffle has merit, by promoting the OPTION of folks to spend extra is ok, mandating it is not. I would promote the raffle as well.

This is a long shot for sure but here goes. How about raffling off tags for problem grizzly? I know there are federal laws to work through but, if a problem animal needs to be put down; why not auction a license for that animal? Win-Win in my opinion.

Wy is also going to create revenue from the sales of Wolf licenses (thank god), that could also be an area of improvement.

Hope that helps,

I like the idea of separating the whitetail and mule deer tags. The first time I was out in WY I shot a mule deer my first evening, so for the remainder of my time I just spotted for others. This would enable me to continue hunting. I think it should be your option to purchase separately or just under one tag.

If they seperate the muley and whitetail tags how will they do points? For those of us who have been buying deer points will it just go towards which we want?

It's a mess. As much as I like Wyoming their situation is the same as mine, diminishing funds. I send Wyoming several hundred dollars a year for just points. Increasing prices I believe will hurt them more than help.
I'd like to see aggressive predator control. I believe Wyoming held out for the long term on the wolves, now its time to pull the trigger. Poison, aerial gunning, bait, and include the coyote. Lions and stray horses need be reduced. Every animal killed by predators is one more tag to be sold. I realize the cost of battling the anti's in court is expensive, but it's time to start getting funds from someone besides hunters. Someone needs to come up with a creative tax levied on these folks. Maybe an ORV sticker applied to non-resident vehicles to leave the interstate. I buy such a sticker every time I go for my ATV already licensed in my home state. A bigger share of oil money to F&G. Belt tightening like the rest of us.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.