Wyoming drought affecting mulie hunting?

Derek M.

I have tags for both antelope and mulie in Wyoming south of Casper. I'm hearing some ranchers talk about a 4 year drought and a decreased number in their larger mulies.

Anyone know the region well? I have BLM maps on the way. I'd like to know where the drought has had its biggest effect. Thanks for your help.

Tags are Region D for deer, preferrably unit 66, and for antelope, 32. DM

Derek,

The drought has affected everything somewhat. There are BIG desert mulies in that area. However they will be harder to find because of the drought as far as antelope NO problem... We are having a fair bit of moisture this spring and summer... However, you areas that you plan to hunt should include creeks and watering holes...

Saw a 27 - 28" mulie during a picnic on my buddies ranch on Bates Creek during the 4th. He was real square and still developing his tops. My hope is he stays in the alfalfa until hunting season and he'll be mine. The deer numbers in this area are way down. If yer thinking about Muddy Mtn, be prepared to be run over by elk hunters. Since the idiots/boneheads at the Game and Fish decided to have both deer and elk open on the same day, there will be hunters everywhere. Last year I went up the mountain a time or two and became disgusted and went back to my buddy's place. Essentially the deer hunters are being sacrificed at the expense of the elk hunters because they're trying to get a higher elk kill in area 19. If you become disgruntled with the number of hunters, please voice your opinions in writing to the Game and Fish. They won't change anything unless enough people groan about it. Regarding goats, Casper has been getting good moisture. However, Bates hole has been getting less. From the southern border of 32 to the Bates Hole country, the grass is already brown.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.