Wyoming deer help

Apply for the good units ( in the special, better odds) spend the money you get it back if you do not draw. Do this until you have some points Chances are decent you will hit a good tag before you get to any of guaranteed good tags In the draw which take a decades worth or more. The Wyoming hunt finder is all you need to know for which hunts are good with descriptions of the unit etc. Look at the points required, that will tell you 75 percent of what you need to know anyway other than stringing together three decent ( low winter kill) winters in a row which does seem impossible lately.

Apply for the good units ( in the special, better odds) spend the money you get it back if you do not draw. Do this until you have some points Chances are decent you will hit a good tag before you get to any of guaranteed good tags In the draw which take a decades worth or more. The Wyoming hunt finder is all you need to know for which hunts are good with descriptions of the unit etc. Look at the points required, that will tell you 75 percent of what you need to know anyway other than stringing together three decent ( low winter kill) winters in a row which does seem impossible lately.
Special is not always better odds. Need to look at past years draw odds. A lot of them have flipped and you pay more for worse odds

Well, my son and I drew tags for region A. No, it's not the "best" region or have the "best" units in the state. But my goal was to draw a tag with my kid and go hunting with him this early winter. I am happy at the opportunity to go on a trip and spend some quality time with him, everything else is going to be a bonus.

Well, thought I would update this post a bit… Long story short… my son and I were all set to go to Wyoming after his freshman year football season ended. Unfortunately for me, he got called up to varsity for the playoffs. This was special for obvious reasons but the best was the fact that he and his older brother (a senior) got to be on the same team for the first time. I ended up going by myself while their team got ready for the semi final game. I drew region A, and I really like a spot in unit 6. After only seeing 7 deer the first day (put more miles on my boots) two guys came down the hill and stopped by my little tent. They were packing out a really nice 4x4. After smoke'n and joke'n for a few they asked about my day. I was quickly informed I needed to use my glass more than my feet. Dedicated to the "local" advise and renewed excitement for the area I set out the next morning. Sat at the glassing point I picked out the day before but decided I wasn't going to move the entire day. I saw a few does and one small forky early in the morning. Just before lunchtime a larger buck came walking down the draw. This buck being the 12th deer I had seen in two days, needing to get back in a couple days for a football game I let it fly. My rangefinder said 348 but with the angle compensation, on so I don't know the actual yardage. He was quartering away from left to right. My bullet went in two ribs from the back and barely through the off shoulder (just under the hide).

He's not the biggest buck I've killed but I'm happy with him, and I got back in time to watch the game.
B98F7719-9126-4A84-B0AC-42165EA403C4.jpeg
BBA18BD1-F58B-4A7D-829F-81089C733A5D.jpeg

Thanks again for all who gave input, it was greatly appreciated.

Well, thought I would update this post a bit… Long story short… my son and I were all set to go to Wyoming after his freshman year football season ended. Unfortunately for me, he got called up to varsity for the playoffs. This was special for obvious reasons but the best was the fact that he and his older brother (a senior) got to be on the same team for the first time. I ended up going by myself while their team got ready for the semi final game. I drew region A, and I really like a spot in unit 6. After only seeing 7 deer the first day (put more miles on my boots) two guys came down the hill and stopped by my little tent. They were packing out a really nice 4x4. After smoke'n and joke'n for a few they asked about my day. I was quickly informed I needed to use my glass more than my feet. Dedicated to the "local" advise and renewed excitement for the area I set out the next morning. Sat at the glassing point I picked out the day before but decided I wasn't going to move the entire day. I saw a few does and one small forky early in the morning. Just before lunchtime a larger buck came walking down the draw. This buck being the 12th deer I had seen in two days, needing to get back in a couple days for a football game I let it fly. My rangefinder said 348 but with the angle compensation, on so I don't know the actual yardage. He was quartering away from left to right. My bullet went in two ribs from the back and barely through the off shoulder (just under the hide).

He's not the biggest buck I've killed but I'm happy with him, and I got back in time to watch the game.View attachment 316348View attachment 316349

Congrats. Glad you got your buck. I can be nerve racking not knowing where to go and if you'll draw.
I had a similar situation with my daughter this year. We had drawn special antelope tags and she ended up making varsity on a good team. I made the trip without her. I had mixed feelings about it and probably still do, but we will plan a hunt once she's out of school or do a hog hunt that isn't during sports.

How did the boys team do?

He's not the biggest buck I've killed but I'm happy with him, and I got back in time to watch the game.View attachment 316348View attachment 316349

Congrats from a fellow Washingtonian! Nice work and your description of how you were looking at spending time with your son and everything else just being a bonus, is on point!