Wyoming/Colorado wilderness hunting ?

ol mike

I read over some of the hunting rules for these states after hearing that the only way you can hunt in a wilderness area is w/a guide.
Is this true for big game or all hunting?
If this is true it sure seems unfair to be "forced" to have a guide.
Thanks Mike

I don't know if its true or not....but get stuck in the wilderness in winter and you may not think its so unfair.

I wouldn't go into the wilderness without a guide, rule or not.

Not in Idaho. Just have to obey the rules. No machinery and weed free hay for the steeds.

Most if not all out of staters are guided for the reason(s) stated.

However, guided hunts are usually more successful unless you have as much experience in the area as the guide does.

I'm mostly a predator/varmint hunter and have intentions of of doing a few hunts per year way -way out yonder.

I'll be moving out west Co.-Id.-Mt. in about a year. Maybe this was for big game hunting only.
With todays modern equipment like a gps [or two] and the right stuff in your backpack a level headed person should be fine.
The people who posted this felt it was due to lobbying by big outfitters.If this is true i'd agree.

Ol'Mike,

If you're gonna have plenty and I mean plenty of time on your hands when you go west pick a central location to settle. MT, ID, WY, CO and maybe parts of UT are the the best. Predators and varmints are not very regulated in MT, ID and WY so you can cross the state line easily without regard for licenses etc. Don't know about CO.

Wyoming is way to windy to be habitable, Idaho is the same in some areas, MT is a good state as long as you stay away from ted turner contry.

bbob,
Early season hunts, no snow, you'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Depends on where. Google earth to Loon Creek, north of Stanley. Snow @ times in late September and early October depending on how algore feels that year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In Southeast ID the goal is to have the cattle out of the mountains by Thanksgiving or you're in trouble. Up towards Salmon its probably a earlier than that.

Roy

You have about got me scared to death with all this talk about snow. I already went and bought brand new insulated waterproof boots, new socks, knee high gaiters and gortex gloves. I bought four new M&S tires plus I got a big bag of dog biscuits for the woofs. Wouldn't want the woofs to get too hungry out there in the deep snow. Been looking a tire chains.

BuffaloBob,
When are you thinking about hunting? The law your thinking of is for Wyoming non residents. Colorado you can hunt any public land no problem.

If you will be hunting in Colorado during any season you MUST have 4WD and chains for all seasons.. Reason is early season mud and late season snow and mud. You won't need them until you absolutely need them! Don't worry too much about the snow unless your hunting the 3rd or 4th seasons. Besides you can't drive into a true Wilderness area anyways, walk in access only. Its true some areas you wouldn't need all of this but those places will be infested with people because of the easy access.

I'd be happy to help with Colorado hunt questions.

[ QUOTE ]
MT, ID, WY, CO and maybe parts of UT are the the best. Predators and varmints are not very regulated in MT, ID and WY so you can cross the state line easily without regard for licenses etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everywhere but Idaho.... Idaho requires a license to hunt ANYTHING including varmints.

Boman

I will be up in the Salmon area of Idaho from about October 10 through mid November. Having been away from the Rockies for so long it had just slipped my attention that it sometimes snows very early in the high country. I still have my tow straps, cables and com-a-long but got rid a of the chains years ago.

BuffaloBob,

Man thats a long time to be up in the hills. I envy you! If I were you I'd grab some chains. Have fun and I'm sure you'll post how you do. Good luck you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wyoming having a rule about non-res in wilderness without a guide is complete bull ****. I've hunted the wilderness areas in CO, back packed in and navigated with map and compass. I've woken up with 10 inches of snow on the ground. Been caught in snow squalls at 12,000 feet, and been soaked to the bone. If I had some puke faced guide with me I probably would have to carry his pack, and wipe snote off his nose.

I wouldn't trust most guides with my life or health.

Hunting in remote areas is very safe as long as your preparred for the unexpected. Like Boman says chains, vehicle needs to get you in and OUT. Many mountain trails that get you close to the wilderness areas are very very marginal.

Important'
Clothing, shelter, and food/water.

Extreamly important;
Footwear you can't get out if you can't walk.
Navigation, batterys may fail at the worst time, carry a map and compass and know how to use it.

3 years ago in CO us lowly non-res hunters had to remove a residents 4 wheel drive from a muddy draw she slid into on a mountain trail.
For a DOW game warden she should have known better.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.