Wyoming Area 45 Elk hunt

Coldfinger

I have a friend out in Wyoming, recommends area 45 for elk. I'm looking at 2023 or 24 depending on drawing success. Any shared information, tips and warnings would be greatly appreciated. Never been to Wyoming before. Thanks!

I don't know about unit 45, but for a classic elk hunt none is any better than the Thorofare region in Wyoming. It is classic in the sense you are in the most remote area in the lower 48, everything is done in wall tents and horse back. A true wilderness experience enjoyed by the likes of Teddy Roosevelt and many other. If you are interested in this type of hunt, I would contact Hidden Creek Outfitters and speak to Bill Perry. I have been on many hunts with him and his crew and was never disappointed. Good luck.

You definitely want to buy a point this year! I am a former resident of Wyoming and I can tell you the non-resident draws are getting tougher every year. They do have the "premium" draw so that might help you out. Wyoming also has the Super Tag Raffle as well which can be helpful. Elk unit 45 is pretty country and with your friend's knowledge, it could be a great hunt. Good luck!

If you don't have any points now , buying them is flushing money down the drain.

You'll never catch up to point creep.

The sad reality is there are 143k people in line in front of you. Your only hope is the random draw, and that doesn't use points.

I have a friend out in Wyoming, recommends area 45 for elk. I'm looking at 2023 or 24 depending on drawing success. Any shared information, tips and warnings would be greatly appreciated. Never been to Wyoming before. Thanks!
I have a Unit 45 type I license and am planning on being there 10/12-22. So I'll have more to share after my return. Please pm me and I'll give you the download. I'm happy to help!

Are you planning on hunting cow elk? Or bull elk?

Zero points and you won't likely be hunting 45 or any other high demand area for at least another 25 years given point creep. Whenever 90/10 happens, add another 10 years...

He has 0 points now.

The minimum it takes to draw a tag is 4 to 5.

By the time he gets to 5 points, the minimum will have climbed to 8/9.

By the time he gets to 8, it will take 12+.

WY game and fish thanks you for your donation though.