Wyoming antelope unit 69

Anyone know anything about this unit or hunted it in the past.

I spent several hours in unit 69 last month, sort of advance scouting for a new unit. On the east side of the unit there were several antelope present but the largest bucks I saw were in the 13" range. In fairness it was 3-4 weeks into the season so the bigger bucks might have been shot already. The thing that impressed me the most was how flat the terrain was, in a lot of places you could shoot as far as you wanted to if you could get above the sage. There are terrain features to be sure but for several square miles in some places it would be hard to gain elevation. Also most of the area is accessible/public. I'm sure it would be a fun hunt just might not be much of a trophy unit.

There are nice camping sites at Alcova lake just make sure you lock your vehicle at night, some scumbag stole my draw-bar out of my receiver hitch one night.

Bob

So do think it would be safe to say that you should be able to fill your tags if you were drawn for this area just maybe not a trophy. I have been looking at 69 and 72. 72 is an easier draw but 69 has more access.

I would normally say that but I would add that I never thought that I would eat a Wyoming pronghorn tag either, but I did this year!

Bob

What unit did you hunt this year. I also was looking at 73 with a special tag it is about 100% chance of drawing. I know it has a lot of public land. You know anything about it.

I hunted unit 70 this year, last year unit 71. It's a long story but I should have been able to kill a nice buck this year and didn't . I saw some good bucks in unit 72 also, there are some very good walk in areas in 72. Never hunted 73 so can't give any first hand about it.

The Wyoming G&F website has all the info you need, look at the success rates and draw odds as well as access. From what I have experienced, the easier the access, the lower the hunt quality.

Bob

Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to buy a special tag to hunt an area like 72, 73, or 69, Or take a chance and end up hunting 30, 31, or one you can get easy.
I noticed 72 had a lot of walk in areas that was one reason I was thinking about that one.

"From what I have experienced, the easier the access, the lower the hunt quality."

Access in terms of easy to get to or in terms of permission to hunt? I have killed some huge bucks on public land with easy access and didn't see another hunter all day...or for several days.

So do you think that the extra money would be worth it to hunt a unit like 73 that has a lot of public land vs less money to hunt 30 or 31 where you would pretty much be using HMA or paying trespass fee which would probably make it same As paying for a special tag to hunt 73.

"From what I have experienced, the easier the access, the lower the hunt quality."

Access in terms of easy to get to or in terms of permission to hunt? I have killed some huge bucks on public land with easy access and didn't see another hunter all day...or for several days.

East to get to was what I was thinking.

I should really qualify myself here, my experience is limited to exactly 2 DIY pronghorn hunts so I 'm by no means an expert, more like a complete novice.

So with that in mind...

My experience is limited to unit 71 (3rd choice draw) last year and 70 (leftover tag) this year. Unless I'm mistaken these are the 2 smallest units in the state. Being from Missouri preseason scouting is not a viable option for me. I have plenty of vacation time so I took additional time to look over new areas on both trips. Last year was an earlier hunt starting the 2nd. week of the season and this year was a later hunt starting the 4th. week of the season. My hunting has been limited to public access, either BLM/State land or walk in areas. I had the option of paying trespass fees but chose not to. In retrospect it may have been a good idea this year to pay the trespass fee. Last year I killed a buck and 2 does with a Striker pistol, this year I never took my safety off. I should point out that if I had been alone or with an experienced hunter this year I could have filled my tags I think. The bucks I saw this year were in the most difficult to access part of the area and so spooky if they saw you they ran no matter the distance.

The single largest buck I have seen in the last 2 years was crossing from private land in unit 71 to a walk in area in unit 72, he was a giant! I have a buck on the wall that scores 79 & change and this guy made him look little. I have spent at least a little time scouting in units 25, 31, 32, 47, 63, 69, 72, and 73 in addition to the units I hunted. Based on my very limited knowledge I think a good hunt could be had in any of these units but if I just wanted to kill a decent buck 14 - 15" or so I would probably hunt 72 or 73.

Hope I didn't mislead anyone, that was not my intention.

Bob

I understand what you are saying. My thoughts were just on paying for special tag and getting a unit with a lot of private land vs getting a unit and paying a trespass fee would probably be out same money or close. That is just my opinion and I have never been there so you have 100% more experience than me

I've hunted 73 the past few years. This year was the worst. A new CO2 pipeline was being put in right through the middle of the area. There were almost NO antelope to be found. That area really doesn't hold a lot of antelope and for sure not many trophy size antelope. I went opening weekend and the closing weekend. Opening weekend I only saw about 15 antelope and closing I didn't see a one. Yes it is a huge area and it is open a long time, and has a lot of BLM. However it is very close to town and the large quantity of BLM draws ALOT of hunters. I would look elsewhere if I was planning on seeing any amount of quality antelope. I hunted the northern and central part of the area...

When I talked to the biologist in Casper he said 73 was the best unit in his area. I think somebody that has never been there may be just as well off to put all the easy draw units in a bag draw one out drive to Wyoming and hope for the best.

We hunted 73 this year and didn't kill a goat. Never saw a buck over 12" and talked to several other hunters who had the same luck. I wouldn't recommend 73.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.