Wyoming antelope hunt help!

Appreciate the advice, however I find that I can shoot my weatherby vanguard 300 better than I can my 243. The combination of the Monte Carlo stock, and 2.5 pound trigger allow me to shoot this weapon much better than my TC encore .243. While the recoil is more severe I do not find it a problem as many people do. We applied for area 17 , thanks tex!!

What do you mean by "much better"? If you can't keep any .243 from any rifle in a 2 to 3 inch circle at 200 yards, I wouldn't have it in a safe. You surely aren't talking any worse accuracy than that are you?

No its definitely much better than that, I've achieved sub moa groups with it but I find the 300 to be a much more consistent shooter for me to shoot accurately. I took the .243 Prarie dog hunting and had no trouble hitting at 200 yards and some past that, but dad's 22-250 was much easier to get hits with. I've found that I need to hold the firearms forearm when at the bench to get a decent group, unlike letting the rifle recoil like I prefer to do. Perhaps it has something to do with the lightweight of the encore rifle. Also not very fond of the buckmaster scope on it by nikon, crosshairs seem wide, fine for shooting animals but for paper I prefer a thinner crosshair.

Whatever lights your fire I guess, but if you were shooting Pdogs at that distance with the .243, then 300 yards should be "gimme" on a goat and if you can't get closer than that in most instances you haven't hunted properly.

....I've found that I need to hold the firearms forearm when at the bench to get a decent group, unlike letting the rifle recoil like I prefer to do. Perhaps it has something to do with the lightweight of the encore rifle....

There is a certain school of thought that goes along with that technique. I've been reading a book by Nathan Foster titled: "The Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting - The art of a clean kill". I have not tried it yet with my super lightweight 300 Win Mag but I should. Also, his website has a lot of info on it including wound channel research / photos etc.

Terminal Ballistics Research
Extensive Field-Tested Rifle & Cartridge Research - BallisticStudies.com

I'm not supporting or propagating his techniques but it was well worth the read and I do want to try some of his stuff.

Robert

I asked this same question on another forum. We plan on shooting p-dogs while there too and I was wanting a one rifle for both. Basically what I gathered was there was no happy meduim. So I'm gonna take my 280AI for the lope, mainly to help buck the wind alittle and .223 for the p-dogs. Put in for 32 but probly will end up second choice in 8.

Appreciate the advice, however I find that I can shoot my weatherby vanguard 300 better than I can my 243. The combination of the Monte Carlo stock, and 2.5 pound trigger allow me to shoot this weapon much better than my TC encore .243. While the recoil is more severe I do not find it a problem as many people do. We applied for area 17 , thanks tex!!

I see you applied for the area I hunt, it shouldn't be too hard to draw. The out of state gents I host ever year don't have much issue getting their tags. As to the snake question you posed...

Rattle Snakes.jpg

They are most definitely here. I took this photo on my families ranch, I happened to stop my SXS on a ridge to look around. no more that 10' away I spy this den... I posted that not to scare anyone but to show they are certainly around. Word of advice, wear proper attire & don't screw with them; they don't go looking for trouble.

I heartily agree with tex' post. Now, if you're set on running the .300, that's cool as well. Personally, I've killed far more critters with .264 and below than I have with any combo of cartridges I have above 6.5. First and foremost is your comfort level. If you're more comfortable with the .300, run it and don't second guess.

Best of luck.

t

Shoot what you want, all of them will do in goats. Its suppose to be about fun.

My kid is laughing at me, I put in for a "any" and an additional "doe/fawn". For the second critter I'm trying to decide between my Springfield Trap Door 45-70 or my Springfield Trap Door 50-70.

I have enough antelope heads on the wall, so not looking for a monster so I just may use both.

As to snakes, I hunt area 7, just west of Newcastle. Last year, between my wife, son, and I we killed 6 rattlers. They are there. Care should be taken. Nothing more disturbing then crawling through the grass and coming nose to nose with a rattler.

That happened to me a couple years ago.

i had the same thought, had an antelope doe tag and and Elk tag in CO, so I used my 300 win mag with 180gr TSX for my antelope, 327 yards and it blew a hole though it you could almost see thru when it hit a rib, now I take the 257 weatherby and 80 gr TTSX for antelope and deer.

also when I hunte Wyoming in 2012 for mule deer and antelope It was 30 degrees and snowing, got both animals and some cool pics in the snow so snakes where not a problem and this was mid october :) I left the outfitter and headed to CO for my antelope hunt there and it was 90 degrees and blazing in Aguilar, saw plenty snakes then :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.