Wyoming Antelope 338AM

wolffman

2011 Wyoming Antelope 013.jpg

2011 Wyoming Antelope 002.jpg

2011 Wyoming Antelope 014.jpg

2011 Wyoming Antelope 005.jpg

2011 Wyoming Antelope 008.jpg

The hunt was on Oct 1st so sorry its taken me this long to post pics and the story. We were hunting around Gillette and Rozet Wyoming for antelope and whitetail doe. I had taken 3 guns along, Kirbys 338AM, and 2 surgeon rifles 338 lapua and 308. I had 4 antelope doe tags and 2 whitetail doe tags.
First up was the the AM and the distance was 540 with a 12mph 2'oclock wind.
1 shot 1kill.
Another buddy of mine shot a doe at 360 after I got mine. After getting both of them cleaned and deboned we were back at them again.
2nd antelope was at 975 with a 9'oclock 12 mph wind. DRT.
Later in the evening I shot a doe in the head at roughly 100 yards with the Surgeon 308.
The next morning I was able to take 2 whitetail doe at 525 and 605 yards with the Surgeon 338 lapua both 1 shot 1 kills. I was using a tripod with the claw attachment and rear bipod support from stoney point that clips on and off and this was done standing do to the brush. I can't say enough about how sturdy this setup is and recommend it if you have to shoot sitting or standing.
The last antelope I shot was at 878 yards with a 9mph wind that was variable from 3oclock . I ended up hitting this one a little far back so she wasn't DRT so i send another one because I hate to see an animal suffer even though it wouldn't be but for a short bit with the power of the 338AM but the 2nd shot hit home and she was done immediately. The lapua was shooting Gen 1 300gr bergers at 2800fps and the AM was shooting Gen2OTM 300gr berger at 3300fps :D

OVerall it was an awesome hunt with lots of great tasting meat in the freezer.

Between 4 guys we took home 11 antelope all doe but 1 buck and 3 whitetail
doe. I hope the pics come up like they are suppose to.

Thanks again to Kirby for builiding a awesome rifle and thats why I will be having a 7mmAM on its way in the very near future and I ordered a Raptor receiver and muzzle brake for lighweight stalker 338 lapua build as a carry rifle for a 2013 yukon hunt for moose, grizzly, caribou and anything else I can get a tag for :). Will probably try the 265gr Barnes LRX or the Cutting Edge bullets that LTLR has posted about and if those 2 just dont shoot then the 300gr berger if it shoots good.

I am having problems with the pictures uploading they have been uploading for 20 minutes so I will try to get them to post again.

Last edited:
Big congratulations, Wolffman. That's some great shooting and awesome equipment.

Good for you!

That is a Vectronix PLRF10 with swarovski 2x doubler on it. I have to give big thanks to Broz for the PLRF10 its amazing!

Thanks Eaglet.
Jeff300 it is definitely a must have piece of equipment for consistantly getting accurate readings at long range. Also the 2x doubler makes it even easier for the really long stuff.

Yep and thats not even pushing it. It is Kirbys standard load and the accuracy is awesome so I havent even attempted to mess with it, if its not broke don't fix it :)
The bergers do some massive damage whether you hit bone or not so I think they have the OTM done right for the higher velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.