Wyoming 2018

Greyfox

Had a good week of hunting the foothills of the Bighorns. A couple days of +20MPH winds presented some challenges. Had a favorable position on this antelope with a 12 O'clock, 22 MPH wind, negating the need for.any wind correction at 594 yards and landing the bullet right behind the shoulder.. A bit more luck with the white tail a few days earlier, initially lined up at 650 yards, I waited him out, and he moved in for a 300 yard shot. Both DRT, taken with my Cooper 6.5x284, 140 JLK VLD @2982FPS.
14FDE558-A6C7-4B28-8421-375E16467878.jpeg BC35AA96-BDD2-4E10-8274-49A210F39B20.jpeg

Congratulatuons. Two nice trophies. Please share more details on your gear (scope) and the shots. Did you dial the scope or hold over?

Congratulatuons. Two nice trophies. Please share more details on your gear (scope) and the shots. Did you dial the scope or hold over?

Thank you all for the kind words!

While I own a few 6.5x284's, my go-to rifle for the past 8 seasons has been my Cooper/5x25x50 Huskemaw scope. The Cooper has a 8:1 twist medium-heavy, fluted barrel coming in at a total weight of 11 pounds. This rifle has accounted for a few dozen mule deer, whitetail, antelope, and coyote, from 150 to 1188 yards. I have used the same handload since the purchase of the rifle. The barrel is approaching 1000 rounds, but shows no change in seating(BTO) or fire cracking when bore-scoped. While I own a few rangefinders, I prefer my Gunwerks G7 which has served me very well for several years. I use it's ballistic calculator, dialing elevation in MOA for all shots past 250 yards, and the Huskemaws 1 MOA reticle/windage scale for wind dope. Most LR shots have been taken prone with bi-pod/rear bag, or sitting with sticks. The antelope shown was shot from a prone position, the whitetail, sitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.