Wyatt's mag boxes

Ian M

Wyatt\'s mag boxes

These mag boxes for M-700 short and long actions and M-70's enable slightly longer overall seating length for your handloads. They do require some fitting, as in gunsmith work. Suggested for WSM's and short action M-700's.
Available from Brownells and also from:

Wyatt's Outdoor, Inc.
4856 Pioneer Rd.
Medford, Oregon 97501

Telephone/Fax line:
(541) 776-8417

[email protected]

Just thought some of you stock tinkerers might be interested.

Re: Wyatt\'s mag boxes

Little more additional info...

123511.jpg

123514.jpg

What is the tapped hole in the back of a REM700 Mag Well used for?

There is no screw in there in the BDLs and Senderos that I have ....

image1.jpg

image6.jpg

image4.jpg

image8.jpg

Doug

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: dwm ]

.. The front trigger guard screw on an ADL goes there.. The actions are pretty much all from the same stock in their respective metals and are just configured differently.. Making them all from a few basic reciever designs is just cost-effective.. d:^) JiNC

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

Like Jake said, and when it's removed on an ADL style, the screw is replaced with a shorter one and a blind nut is epoxied into the stock to hold it instead of running up into the threads in the action there.

A mill makes this much faster, and easier, but a dremel and files can be easily used to remove the metal necessary to fit the mag and shorten the bolt stop, and ejector on the M70.

Relieve and radius the inside rear of the ejection port out to the outer edge for extra reliable ejection... some models flat require this be opened up to the rear more.

Chris,
Has Wyatt began to use thicker heat treated steel for their boxes, or are they still thinner soft mild steel ones prone to be a pain to keep the lips holding the cases down and not spreading over a short time?

For those that did not know, these are center feed boxes and the lips keep the cartridges held down by the distance they are away from each other and the stiffness they have, and retain. The cases are pushed straight down through the lips, or loaded through the bottom. Either way, the lips must maintain their shape in order to keep the rounds from popping up between them. The ones I've used needed to be made of thicker steel, and also heat treated, in order to retain their shape 100% like they should.

Brent,
The ones I have on hand are soft steel, but that's a better question for Kevin Wyatt. Haven't had any concerns with them not holding their shape yet. I suppose if they did, being soft steel, a person could bend them back where needed.

Chris,
Yep, you can bend them back easy enough. Loading through the bottom would be my choice to keep them in shape, that or getting someone to heat treat a batch of 'em. I'll be making my own here shortly though, thicker and heat treated, probably some drop mags with bottom metal too.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.