Wyatts extended center-feed box for Rem. 700/300WSM

shooterRon

Hi All! I have been considering installing a Wyatts' center feed magazine box in my Rem. 700 in 300 WSM. While it will only gain me about .140 inch over the guns' S.A.A.M.I standard of 2.860 OACL for this cartridge, it appears ANY gains in OACL would be helpful--particularly with 180 grain and heavier bullets. The extra room for powder can't hurt either! I would like to know if any others have made this conversion to the Wyatts' magazine box on this rifle and what are the pros and cons? Would you do it again? Thanks for any and all information!

Another option is the PTG Bainey box, allows 3.100" OAL, so even more. I do not have any experience with either yet, but intend to put on of the bainey boxes in my .260 AI. I have an extended Wyatts mag box in my rem 700 long action to run a .338 Norma, and it feeds flawlessly.

Another option is the PTG Bainey box, allows 3.100" OAL, so even more. I do not have any experience with either yet, but intend to put on of the bainey boxes in my .260 AI. I have an extended Wyatts mag box in my rem 700 long action to run a .338 Norma, and it feeds flawlessly.
YeT

I've run 2 wyatt's in r700s. Both were long actions (300 wm and 338 edge). I love them. 140 thousands is significant for reloading. My 338 edge is a repeater at just under 4" coal.
They are worth the money IMO.

I run Wyatt's boxes in several rifles.
6.5SS, 6.5SLR, .300RUM, and will be running one in my new 6.5SS once Manners ships my new stock.
Zero feeding issues, and the gain in available OAL can really help in certain chamberings.

.300RUM
230 Hybrid to fit in Wyatt's box vs. 215 to fit in standard box

Last edited:
Hi All! I have been considering installing a Wyatts' center feed magazine box in my Rem. 700 in 300 WSM. While it will only gain me about .140 inch over the guns' S.A.A.M.I standard of 2.860 OACL for this cartridge, it appears ANY gains in OACL would be helpful--particularly with 180 grain and heavier bullets. The extra room for powder can't hurt either! I would like to know if any others have made this conversion to the Wyatts' magazine box on this rifle and what are the pros and cons? Would you do it again? Thanks for any and all information!
If the action was originally made for the WSM or SAUMs it will feed without using a center feed box. Wyatts makes both center feed and conventional I believe. The center feed box can ease feeding, but I think you loose mag capacity by 1 rd. If the action you are using is a .308 flavor, where the bolt face has been opened to mag, the cf box is almost required for the cartridges to feed. The extended boxes don't hurt at all! Sometimes they all require tweaking to get 'um to feed like you want them to.

This is shooterRon......just want to say thanks to all who responded!! I was happy to see few if any negatives. I just finished the installation of the Wyatts extended box, and after a little tuning it feeds great and I can't wait to load for that extra OACL. Again--thank you all for your input because it really helped me make a decision on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.